INSTALLING OFFICE 2008 FOR MAC
Installing Office 2008 is a four-step process. After downloading the installer, you will install Office 2008, check your Office Identity, and install any updates. Re-start your computer and you're done.
To complete the installation, you must be logged into your computer as an administrator. You will also need to be connected to the Smith network to download the installer and updates.
Depending on the speed of your computer and your network connection, the installation will take 30-45 minutes.
Click on the links below for detailed instructions:
Before you install Office 2008 on your Smith computer, be sure to:
If you have any questions, please contact User Support at x4487.
all running applications.
on your Desktop.
Connect to Server from the Go Menu.
- Type stuff.smith.edu into the Server
Address text field. Click Connect.
your Novell username in the
Name area. Enter your password,
then click Connect.
asked to select a volume to mount, choose STUFF.DATA and click OK.
- The system will place
a STUFF.DATA icon on your desktop and open a new Finder window with the
contents of STUFF.DATA. Double-click on the STUFF.DATA icon to navigate
the network drive.
- Go to
- Drag MSOffice2008_12.2.1.pkg to your desktop.
It will take between 10-20 minutes to copy, depending on the speed of your
computer and your network connection.
- When MSOffice2008_12.2.1.pkg is finished copying to your desktop, drag the STUFF.DATA icon on your desktop to the Trash to disconnect from the Smith Network STUFF drive.
- Double-click on the MSOffice2008_12.2.1.pkg icon on your desktop to launch the installer.
- In the Welcome window, click Continue.
- When the Standard Install on Macintosh HD window opens, click Install.
- In the
Password window, enter your password and click OK.
- When the
Install Succeeded window appears, click Close.
Your Office Identity will be configured automatically from your address book. To check and/or edit your user information:
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Go to Preferences/ Personal Settings/ User Information.
- Open Word and wait for the "Optimizing font menu" process to finish running.
- Open the Help menu and click on Check for Updates.
- If any updates are available, run them. If not, click OK.
- Re-start your computer and you're all set.