- Open a web browser such as Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer and go to: http://moodle.smith.edu
- Enter your Moodle username and password in the login box on the left side of the page.
Smith students: Enter your Smith Network username and password.
5-College students and other non-Smith users: Be sure to include your institution code (u-, m-, h-, a-, or o-) at the beginning of your username.
If you get a login error, try again to be sure you didn't make a typo.
If you still can’t get into Moodle, contact the User Support Center (x4487) for help.
Once you are logged in you will see a block on the left side of the page called Current Courses.
The box will not show up if you do not have access to any Moodle course pages. If you should have access to Moodle course pages but do not see the My Courses box, please contact the User Support Center (x4487).
- From the course Moodle page, click on the Compose link in the Quickmail block. This is normally found in the upper left corner of each course page.
- Use the checkboxes to select recipients. You can also use the “Select All” link.
- Compose your message and click the Send Email button.
Your profile is your identity on Moodle. The first and last name and picture listed in your profile will identify you throughout Moodle. Other Moodle users in your courses can view your profile.
To edit your profile
To view your profile, click on your name next to the “Logout” link at the top of the screen, or anywhere else that your name appears as a link. Then, click the “Edit profile” tab.
There are several settings that are accessible from your profile that will help make your use of Moodle more productive.
- Forum auto-subscribe: If you select yes for this it will mean that when you post a message to a forum, you will be subscribed to that forum and receive email copies of all messages for that forum.
- Forum tracking: This is a useful option to enable. If enabled it will highlight unread forum messages so you can easily see what is new.
- Picture of: You can change your user icon with the “New Picture” field by browsing for a small picture.
In some courses, instructors will create Forums for class discussion. Forums appear on your Moodle page like this:
To post a new thread in a forum, click the forum link (as shown above). On the forum page, click the “Add a new discussion topic” button at the top of the list of threads. Give the thread a title in the Subject box, and type your post in the Message box. When you are done, check your post for errors and click the Post to forum button at the bottom of the page. After you’ve posted, you will have 30 minutes to edit your post.
To reply to someone else's post, click on that post on the forum page, then click the Reply link in the bottom right corner of the post you want to reply to. The fields are the same as they are for starting a new thread.Back to top>