TRANSFERING YOUR SMITH MAIL TO A PERSONAL GMAIL ACCOUNT
WARNING: The process below is currently broken and has been identified as a known issue by Google. Until Google fixes the bug, you will have to forward all the Smith Mail messages you wish to save to your personal Gmail account manually. Here's what Google says:
Known Issue: "A message in your account was listed with an invalid size. It has been left on the server."
We've aware of an issue where you might be seeing messages with the text,"A message in your account was listed with an invalid size. It has been left on the server" when fetching or importing messages from another Gmail account.
We’re working to resolve this issue, but in the meantime, you can use email forwarding to automatically send messages from one Gmail account to another.
We will let you know when Google announces a solution to the problem.
If you are leaving the college, you may wish to transfer all your saved Smith Mail messages to a personal non-Smith Gmail account.
Please read the important notes below before you begin:
- The transfer process must be performed BEFORE your Smith Mail account is disabled.
- The transfer process will REMOVE your messages from your Smith Mail account and transfer them to your Gmail account.
First, enable POP settings in your Smith Mail account:
- In Smith Mail, click on the gear icon and select Mail Settings.
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- In the POP Download section, choose to enable POP for all mail, then save your changes.
- Go back into Settings and click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab again.
- Your Status should now read POP is enabled. To import all your mail into your new account, select Enable POP for all mail and again save your changes.
Second, set your Gmail account to receive all saved messages from your Smith Mail account:
- Log out of your Smith Mail account and log into your personal Gmail account.
- Open Settings and click the Accounts and Imports tab.
- Under Check mail from other accounts (using POP3), click Add a POP3 email account you own.
- In the Add a mail account window, enter your full Smith Mail address and click Next Step.
- In the next window, add @smith.edu at the end of your username.
- In the Password field, enter your Smith Mail password.
- In the Pop server field, do not leave the setting at pop.smith.edu. Instead, select Other from the drop-down menu and enter: pop.gmail.com
- From the Port drop-down menu, select 995.
- Click the box next to Always use a secure connection.
- Do NOT select Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server.
- When you're done, the window should look like this (with your email address in the username field):
- Click Add Account.
- If you don't want to send messages using your firstname.lastname@example.org address from your Gmail account while your Smith Mail account is still active, click No, then Finish.
- If you do want to send messages using your email@example.com address from your Gmail account while your Smith Mail account is still active, click Yes, then Next step, then Next step, then Send verification.
When the verification message arrives in your Smith Mail inbox, follow the instructions it contains.
IMPORTANT: If you have many saved messages in your Smith Mail account, note that the transfer process may take considerable time to complete.