ACCESSING SMITH MAIL & CALENDAR FROM A MOBILE DEVICE
Mobile devices include smartphones and tablets. The number of mobile devices and applications used for academic and business purposes at Smith is expected to grow steadily over the next few years.
If you have questions about devices or applications not listed below, please call the User Support Center at x4487.
Setting Up Smith Mail on an Apple Device
Setting Up Smith Mail on an Android Device
Setting Up Smith Mail on a Blackberry
Setting Up Sync on an Apple Device
Google Sync is only supported on Apple iOS versions 3.0 and above. You can check your current version by going to Settings > General > About > Version.
If you're running an iOS before 3.0, upgrade to the latest iOS on Apple's site: http://www.apple.com/ios/ before setting up Google Sync.
Note: This guide has been written for Apple devices running iOS 5.0 and above. Please update your device before proceeding.
- Open the Settings application on your device's home screen.
- Open Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Tap Add Account...
- Select Exchange. Choosing Exchange allows you to sync your Smith Mail, Contacts, and personal Calendar. If you wish to sync multiple calendars, see below.
Enter Account Info
- In the Email field, enter your full Smith Mail account email address.
- Leave the Domain field blank.
- In the Username field, enter your full Smith email address.
- In the Password field, enter your Smith Mail password.
- Tap Next at the top of your screen.
- If the Unable to Verify Certificate dialog appears, choose Cancel.
- When the new Server field appears, enter: m.google.com
- Press Next at the top of your screen again.
Enable Mail and Calendar
- Select the Smith services (Mail, Calendar, and Contacts) you want to sync.
- To receive and respond to meeting requests on your device, you must turn on both Mail and Calendars. In addition, you must enable New Invitations in your Google Calendar settings.
- To enable New Invitations, sign in to your Smith Calendar using the web browser on your phone or computer.
- Go to Calendar Settings > Calendars > Click on the Notifications for the calendar you want to sync.
- Under Email check New Invitations (and any of the other Invitation settings you want enabled), and click Save.
- Unless you want to delete all the existing Contacts and Calendars on your phone, select the Keep on my iPhone (or iPad or iPod touch) option when prompted. This will also allow you to keep syncing with your computer via iTunes.
- If you want to sync only the My Contacts group, you must choose to Delete Existing Contacts during the Google Sync install when prompted.
Note: If you choose to keep existing contacts, it will sync the contents of the All Contacts group instead. If there are no contacts on your phone, the latter will happen -- the contents of your All Contacts group will be synced.
You've set up Google Sync for Smith Mail. Synchronization will begin automatically if you have Push enabled on your device. You can also open the Mail, Calendar, or Contacts app and wait a few seconds to start a sync.
Note: If you are on iOS 4.2 or lower, please be aware that to delete emails, you must do so from the All Mail folder.
Also, due to a bug in this version of iOS, your Exchange account may drop connection to the server randomly. ITS recommends that if you are on a iPhone 3G or lower, please set up your mail as a standard GMail account. Enter your Smith email as the username.
Note: This guide is written for Android devices running Gingerbread 2.3 and up. Please update your Android device so you can get the most out of Smith services.
Setting up your Smith account on your Android device is a simple process since Smith Mail is powered by Google Apps, and as such, plugs in natively with your phone's stock Gmail app. Linking the account automatically allows you to sync calendars and contacts in addition to your mail.
- Go to Settings.
- Choose the option for Accounts and Sync
- Click Add Account
- Choose Google from the Accounts screen
- At the Add a Google Account screen, click Next
- Choose Sign In from the list of options and then click Next.
- At the account addition screen where you're asked to sign in with your Google Account, put in your full email address (example: firstname.lastname@example.org) and password. Click Sign In when finished.
- When the Data & Synchronization screen appears, allow it time to load, then check the services that you'd like synchronized to your phone.
- Click Finished
- Click Finish Setup and you're done. Allow a few minutes for the accunt to finish synchronizing.
- Locate and click on the Setup folder.
- Within the Setup folder, click on Email ACCOUNTS and if prompted, review the Terms of Agreement.
- Highlight Internet Mail Account Click Next
- Highlight Other and Click on Next
- Enter your Email address email@example.com and your Password
- The system will time out and come up with an User name and password
- Click on “I will Provide the setting”
- Enter in on Email Server imap.gmail.com and your User Name firstname.lastname@example.org
Setting up Smith Mail on a Blackberry as an Enterprise Account
To set up your Blackberry with a new Enterprise account, please backup and wipe your Blackberry first to prevent any conflicts.
- Sign in with your Blackberry ID and password or Create a New Account if you haven't before.
- When in Setup, go to Email Accounts.
- Choose Enterprise Account
- Enter your Smith Email and the password provided by the Blackberry administrator.
- Click Activate
- Allow the device to synchronize your account. The time this takes may vary depending on how large your contact, mail and calendars are.
- When the Activation Complete box pops onto the screen, click OK
- Exit out of Setup and you BB has now been connected to Smith Mail as an Enterprise Account.