Fetch is an FTP/SFTP client for Mac
OS X. Fetch can be used to transfer files to a webserver or to your
network drive from off-campus.
Fetch uses both File Transfer Protocol (FTP) and Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) and allows a networked Macintosh to transfer files with any connected machine that supports FTP or SFTP.
Fetch is available as a free download on the Smith Software Downloads page.
- Go to the Smith Software Downloads page.
- Click on File Transfer or scroll down to the File Transfer section.
- Click on the Fetch Secure File Transfer Download link.
- If prompted, click "Save File."
- When the download is finished, double-click on Fetch_Installer.zip to un-archive (un-zip) the installer.
- Double-click on Fetch_Installer.pkg to run the Fetch installer.
- Click Continue.
- Select your hard drive (Macintosh HD) and click Continue.
- Click Install.
- Provide your computer's administrative password and click OK.
- Close. Fetch has been installed into your Applications folder.
- Launch Fetch.
- A New Connection dialog box will appear.
- In the Hostname field, enter the name of the remote computer you wish to connect to (e.g, sophia.smith.edu).
- In the Username field, enter your Network username.
- If you are connecting to a Host that requires a secure FTP connection, choose SFTP from the Connect Using drop-down menu.
Note that all Smith servers require SFTP.
- Enter your network password in the Password field and click Connect.
Once you have entered all of your connection information into the New Connection window, you can save it for future use.
- Click on the heart icon and choose "Make Shortcut."
- Enter a name for the new shortcut and click OK. (To make this shortuct your default, check "Make this the default shortcut.")
To connect to your new shortcut, click on the heart icon and select the shortcut then click Connect.
To manage your Fetch shortcuts, click on the Shortcuts menu and select Show Shortcuts.
To download a file, drag the desired file from the Fetch window to your Desktop or another location on your hard drive or follow the directions below:
- Select the file from your Home directory by clicking on it once.
- Click on the Get button.
Files will automatically be downloaded to your Desktop. (To change this setting, click on the Fetch menu and choose Preferences. Click on the Downloads tab.)
To upload a file, drag it from your computer into the Fetch window or follow the directions below:
- Click on the Put File button.
- A dialog box for browsing will appear showing the contents of your desktop. Find and select the file you wish to copy to the remote host.
- The filename will appear in the Put as field.
- Fetch will automatically select the proper file format and copy the file to your Home directory. Click on the Put button.
Note: If you receive a "Permission denied" error, shorten your filename to eight characters or less in the Put File window, then click OK.
When the file transfer is complete, the file you have uploaded will be listed in the Fetch window.
For help using Fetch, click on the Help menu and choose Fetch Help.