COGNOS REPORTNET TIPS AND TRICKS
CREATE PAGE BREAKS WITH SECTION HEADERS PRINTING AT THE TOP OF EACH PAGE
The following instructions will show how to create page breaks so that each new section header will start on a new page. In addition, you will see how to set up your report so the section header prints at the top of each page, not just in the list.
1. Once you've set your section headers in your list, click on Report Pages.
2. Double click or drag Page Set to bring a new Page Set into the Report Pages pane on the right.
3. Associate the new Page Set with the proper query. In this example, it is StudentList.
4. Now click the ellipse next to Grouping and Sorting.
5. In the Grouping and Sorting property dialog box, drag the query item (used for your section header) listed in the left pane to the Groups folder in the right pane. In this example, we are selecting ACADEMIC_PERIOD. Click OK.
6. Go back to the Report Pages. Drag the original page (default Page1) to the Detail Pages folder.
7. You should now see Page1 listed in the Detail Pages folder. .
8. Go to the Report Layout. Click on the Section Header that you would like to print on every page. In this example, it is ACADEMIC_PERIOD. Then select the List Header ancestor.
9. In the Properties Pane, under General, click the ellipse next to Pagination. Check "Repeat every page" then click OK.
10. Next, click on the blank area of the report. Then click the Page ancestor.
11. Associate the page with the query. In this example it is StudentList.
12. Go to the toolbox and drag a block item underneath the title cell of the report header.
13. Drag a layout calculation to the new block item.
14. The Report Expression Builder window will open. Drag the item (used for section headers) to to the Expression Definition pane. In this case it is ACADEMIC_PERIOD. Click OK.
15. The section header is now added to the report title. Modify font size, weight, and alignment.
16. Save and run the report. Notice the section header now appears at the top of the page under the report title as well as in the list itself.