COGNOS REPORTNET TIPS AND TRICKS
CREATE A TEXT TOOLTIP
A helpful feature in Cognos is the Tooltip. When a user hovers the mouse over a column header, information about that column is displayed. This is similar to an Excel "Comment". In the example below, when a user hovers the mouse over the STATUS column heading, a user can see what LP status means. This example covers creating a static text tooltip, however you may also create a tooltip for an expression or data item.
In order to create a Tooltip on your report, you simply add an HTML item as follows:
1. Click the padlock to unlock the report.
2. Click the Toolbox. Scroll down and drag an "HTML Item" over to the report. Release the item just to the left of the STATUS Text Item.
3. Double click the yellow HTML Item to open the dialog box to add the HTML "span" code. Type the code exactly as it appears below, placing your own tooltip between the quotes. Click OK when finished.
5. Now we need to place another piece of HTML code into the report in order to close the "span". From the Toolbox, drag an HTML Item over to the report. This time, release the item just to the right of the STATUS Text Item. Double click the new yellow HTML Item on the right to open the dialog box and add the code below. Click OK when finished.
6. Run the report to test. Now when a user hovers the mouse over the STATUS column heading, the tooltip will appear.
7. Lock the report. Then save.