How to Apply
Before applying to a Smith Program Abroad be sure to:
- Read the Study Abroad Guide (PDF).
- Meet with a Peer Adviser to ask questions, discuss plans or explore options.
- Confer with the academic adviser in your major and the departmental study abroad adviser.
Please be sure you meet Smith College's eligibility requirements for approval to study abroad. In addition, each Smith Program Abroad has its own program-specific requirements.
Completed application materials must be received by the Smith College Office for International Study by the following dates:
First Monday in February
- Smith student applications for full-year enrollment in Florence, Geneva, Hamburg or Paris are due. Accepted students will be notified in late February.
- Smith student applications for Geneva fall semester are also due.
Third Monday in March
- Guest students from other four-year accredited undergraduate programs are encouraged to apply by the February deadline above for full competitive consideration. Guest student applications will be accepted on a space-available, rolling basis until the third Monday in March.
First Monday in May
- All students interested in applying for the Geneva spring semester are encouraged to apply by the February deadline above for full competitive consideration. Smith and guest student applications for Geneva spring semester only will be accepted on a space-available, rolling basis until the first Monday in May.
First Monday in October
- All students interested in applying for the Hamburg spring semester are encouraged to apply by the February deadline above for full competitive consideration. Smith and guest student applications for Hamburg spring semester only will be accepted on a space-available, rolling basis up until the first Monday in October.
Applications to the Smith Programs Abroad include:
- Smith Programs Abroad Application
- Language Evaluation
- Non-language Faculty Recommendation
- Personal statement
- Copy of passport
Additional Application Materials for Guests Students
Applicants from other colleges must also submit:
- Home School Statement of Support
- Official transcript
- Original sample of written work in language of the program which has been submitted for a course and graded by an instructor.
How to Apply
Students can find the application materials and apply to a Smith Program Abroad online using the new Smith International Travel Experiences System (SITES) by clicking on the appropriate log in option below.
Visa Application Processes
All students are advised to throughly understand the visa application process for their destination country before making any summer plans including summer jobs that take them out of state or international travel.