How to Apply
Before applying to a Smith Program Abroad be sure to:
- Read the Study Abroad Guide (PDF).
- Meet with a Peer Adviser to ask questions, discuss plans or explore options.
- Confer with the academic adviser in your major and the departmental study abroad adviser.
Please be sure you meet Smith College's eligibility requirements for approval to study abroad. In addition, each Smith Program Abroad has its own program-specific requirements.
Completed application materials must be received by the Smith College Office for International Study by the following dates:
First Monday in February
- Smith student applications for full-year enrollment in Florence, Geneva, Hamburg or Paris are due. Accepted students will be notified in late February.
- Smith student applications for Geneva fall semester are also due.
Third Monday in March
- Guest students from other four-year accredited undergraduate programs are encouraged to apply by the February deadline above for full competitive consideration. Guest student applications will be accepted on a space-available, rolling basis until the third Monday in March.
First Monday in May
- All students interested in applying for the Geneva spring semester are encouraged to apply by the February deadline above for full competitive consideration. Smith and guest student applications for Geneva spring semester only will be accepted on a space-available, rolling basis until the first Monday in May.
First Monday in October
- All students interested in applying for the Hamburg spring semester are encouraged to apply by the February deadline above for full competitive consideration. Smith and guest student applications for Hamburg spring semester only will be accepted on a space-available, rolling basis up until the first Monday in October.
The Office for International Study will be launching a new online application system on January 20, 2014. All students interested in applying for approval to study abroad during 2014-15 will be asked to submit their applications through the new system.
Students are encourage to start gathering the necessary materials for their applications by using last year's forms as templates.
Please contact the Office for International Study if you have any questions.
Applications must include the following:
Smith Programs Abroad Application Form (PDF) (includes full application instructions)
Language Evaluation Form (PDF)
- Personal statement
- Copy of passport
- Geneva only: Internship statement in which they detail their goals for the internship, the skills they will bring to the organization and those they wish to develop, and the type of organization they hope to work with
Additional Application Materials for Guests Students
Applicants from other colleges must also submit:
- Official transcript
- Original sample of written work in language of the program which has been submitted for a course and graded by an instructor
- Application fee of $35, payable to Smith College
Visa Application Processes
All students are advised to throughly understand the visa application process for their destination country before making any summer plans including summer jobs that take them out of state or international travel.