All students are required to carry U.S.-based primary health insurance, and will be automatically enrolled in the Smith College student health insurance plan through Gallagher Koster at the beginning of the term abroad. This insurance plan may be waived online at Gallagher Koster if the student has another primary health insurance policy that provides comparable coverage, except in the case of international students, who must purchase the Smith College student health insurance plan through Gallagher Koster. If you are an international student and plan to visit your home country during break, you may need additional insurance coverage in your home country during this period.
Supplemental Study Abroad Insurance for Florence, Geneva, Hamburg and Paris
Students on a Smith program in Florence, Geneva, Hamburg or Paris are also covered by a supplemental international medical insurance policy through Gallagher Koster. Students participating on an approved program are eligible to purchase this supplemental study abroad insurance through Gallagher Koster at an additional cost if the program or host university does not provide supplemental insurance. All students and their families should review the coverage information about this plan:
AIG/Travel Guard is an independent service engaged by Five Colleges Inc. to provide students studying abroad access to a full range of medical information, travel assistance, and emergency services. It is important to remember that AIG/Travel Guard is NOT (and does not replace) international health insurance. It does, however, provide valuable services, such as:
- Email or text alerts for your destination
- Detailed and comprehensive country reports
- Travel health concerns and vaccinations
- General safety or security concerns
We strongly recommend that students register with AIG/Travel Guard and sign up for email updates and alerts for their destination. Registration is easy and free.
- Go to the AIG Benefits Solution portal and click "register here."
- Enter your name, email address, organization name (Smith College), and policy number (9125324)
You will receive an email confirmation with a password. When you log in with the password provided, you will be asked to reset the password. Students must register in order to access the on-line resources. Registration is not required to access resources and assistance by telephone.
AIG/Travel Guard Contact Information:
Toll-free number: 877-244-6871
Overseas collect: +1 715-346-085
Policy Number: 9125324
The AIG/Travel Guard plan also provides Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage to students at no additional cost. If these services are needed they must be coordinated through the Five College Risk Management Office and AIG for coverage to apply.
Shopping for Insurance
What to Look For
When considering insurance policies, ask these questions:
- Will the plan cover hospitalization for accidents and illness for the entire period abroad?
- Is there a deductible? How much?
- Is there a dollar limit to the amount of coverage provided?
- What are the procedures for filing a claim for medical expenses abroad? Is it necessary to pay up front and then get reimbursed?
- When does the plan begin and end?
- What proof of international medical coverage is provided?
- Will this policy provide coverage in the United States for the insured semester/year if the student decides, for medical or other reasons, to return to the United States before the end of the program? (It is vital to have coverage valid in the United States throughout the period of study abroad.)
Additional Coverage Overseas
If your or your family's insurance company does not provide coverage overseas, you will need to find a suitable provider for your time abroad. Providers include iNext, HTH Worldwide, Gallagher Koster and International SOS.
You can compare a variety of insurance providers at insuremytrip.com.
Regardless of which plan a student chooses, she should contact the insurance company to ensure that coverage will be provided abroad and make sure that she understands the nature of the coverage, including how to submit claims and contact the insurer from outside the United States.