The Lewis Global Studies Center International Photo Contest and Exhibition will recognize Smith students who studied, interned, worked, volunteered and engaged in research outside of the United States from September 2012 through August 2013. Additionally, the exhibition and contest will also feature perspectives on U.S. culture from international students, and global engagement on campus.
All students are invited to share their international experiences with the Smith community and reveal their journey in pictures!
Submission deadline: September 16, 2013
Each student may submit two photos; each photo must be for a different category.
- Cultural encounter/s: Images of social interaction between cultures or of the photographer's own immersion in a cultural context.
- Daily life: The everyday moments in which one experiences culture and environment
- Learning moments: Images that reflect "aha!" moments of discovery or simply the active participation in educational activities such as field work, discussion or reflection
- Land/Sea/City/Culture-scapes: These are the sweeping, broad views of geological formation, built environment, marine views or large-scale cultural formations such as ceremonies or mass gatherings viewed from a distance.
- Natural ecology: Images of flora, fauna and geological elements
- Perspectives of US Culture: Images from the US as viewed through the eyes of international students.
- Global Engagement on Campus: Images of moments throughout the year where global engagement was taking place on campus.
How to Submit
Digital photos of up to 10 inches in longest dimension, at 300dpi can be submitted. The photos will be printed (roughly 8" x 10") and displayed for the contest.
Save photos with a file name in this format: Country_Lastname_Firstname_class year.jpg (Kenya_Jones_Ann_12.jpg) and e-mail the high resolution digital photo files to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the text of your e-mail, include your name, class year, a brief description of each photo, including where it was taken and the category in which you wish the photo(s) to be judged.
You will also need to include this sentence in the body of your email:
"I ____(type your full name here)___ give permission for Smith College Office for International Study to use my photographs for promotional purposes in print and web materials."
A panel of Smith experts in photography, visual anthropology and global culture will be invited to participate in a juried review of the contest submissions and will provide commentary on notable photos and techniques of the photos.
There will also be a People's Choice Award, where the public can submit votes for their favorite photo.
The intent of this juried review is to demonstrate the multiple perspectives on the impact of photographic images as well as the different disciplinary appreciations of photography as cultural documentation, aesthetic representation and student engagement.
Exhibition and Reception
All entries will be displayed in the Lewis Global Study Center, Wright Hall from October 16 through October 30.
A reception will be held from 12:00 to 1:30 p.m. on Monday, October 21 in the Lewis Global Studies Center. At the reception photo contest jurors will share their views on the submitted photos and comment on why they chose the photos they deemed notable and of honorable mention.