Smith-Approved Program Applications
Applying to study abroad on a program approved for Smith credit is a two-part process:
- You must have Smith approval for your study abroad plans.
- You must be accepted by the program you wish to attend.
To seek approval from Smith College, submit the Study Abroad Credit Application online in the new Smith International Travel Experiences System (SITES).
When applying for Smith study abroad credit approval be sure to:
- Check study abroad eligibility requirements and deadlines.
- Read the Study Abroad Guide (PDF).
- Research program options and decide on a maximum of two possibilities.
- Meet with a Peer Adviser to discuss plans or explore options.
- Confer with academic adviser in your major and the departmental study abroad adviser.
- Submit the 2015-16 Study Abroad Credit Application via the Smith International Travel Experiences System (SITES) by the deadline.
- Apply directly to the program(s) you wish to attend, well in advance of program deadlines.
Program/Host University Applications
Students are responsible for the program application process. If you have any questions about the application or program, contact the program directly. Applications often include the following:
- Application form
- Personal statement
- Official transcript
- Letter(s) of recommendation
- "Institutional Approval Form" or "Study Abroad Adviser Approval Form." This form should be completed by Office for International Study staff, not a faculty adviser
- Application fee
First Monday in February: Applications due for study on a Smith Program Abroad in Florence, Hamburg or Paris (full-year), and Geneva (full-year or fall only); and highly recommended for spring in Hamburg and Geneva.
Third Monday in February: Smith Study Abroad Credit Application due for study abroad on Smith Consortium and Smith-Approved study abroad programs during the following academic year (fall, spring or full-year).
Petitions for GPA, two locations and non-approved programs (for spring semester) petitions are also due.
Third Monday in March: Deadline for year-long and fall semester confirmation paperwork for Smith programs in Florence, Geneva, Hamburg and Paris.
First Monday in April: Deadline for fall semester study abroad confirmation paperwork (included with approval letter) for Smith Consortium and Smith-approved study abroad programs.
First Monday in May: Applications due for spring semester on the Smith Program Abroad in Geneva on a rolling, space-available basis.
First Monday in October: Applications due for select spring semester programs: ACC, AKP, PRESHCO, or SITA (Study Abroad Credit Application); Smith Program Abroad in Hamburg (Smith Program Abroad Applications).
GPA Petitions for above programs are aslo due.
First Monday in November: Deadline for spring semester study abroad confirmation paperwork (included with approval letter) for Smith Consortium and Smith-approved study abroad programs.
Petitions for nonapproved programs (fall and year-long) are also due.