Minutes of Staff Council Meeting
March 1, 2007
Attendance: Adrianne Andrews, Nancy Brady, Sandra Bycenski, Beverly Byrnes, Janice Cole, Lynda DallaPegorara, Navae Fenwick, Christopher Gentes, Alicia Guidotti, Lou Ann Krawczynski, Trish Mailler, Sabrina Marsh, Jinny Mason, Kathryn Messier, Rick Rubin, Sam Rush, Art usher, Laurie Wyman, Kathy Yarnell, Merrilyn Lewis, Stacey Anasazi, Karen Lehouiller.
Excused: Joseph Bialek, Patricia Rist, William Sheehan, Janet Spongberg, John Zaikowski, Steve Monteiro, Kenneth Molnar.
Prior to the opening of the meeting, members of Staff council were treated to a tour of the Smith College Museum of Art exhibit, Beyond Green, and exhibit of the works created by social action artists concerned with the environmental issues associated with the necessity of sustainability in a local and global context. Stacey Anasazi served as tour guide. We viewed works exploring sustainable architecture, acoustic ecology, and carrying cases with built-in solar panels along with interactive pieces designed to engage the viewer in the project of sustainability.
Following the tour, the meeting was called to order at 2:30pm by Sam Rush, Chair. Stacey Anasazi was thanked for arranging the tour. Sam pointed out that the exhibit dovetails nicely with the upcoming Staff Council project, the Green Forum.
The minutes of the February meeting minutes were approved.
- Snow Emergency update - VP/Finance and Administration holds responsibility for decision to close and/or delay opening of the College in the event of extreme snow conditions. It was mentioned that if the decision is made in the future to close or delay opening, a note of thanks could be sent. The Ruth Constantine, VP, relayed the information that if weather makes life difficult, those effected can give her feedback directly. Essential personnel hat to take either a personal day or a vacation day. Concern was voiced that there needed to be institutional backing/support for making those individual decisions to come in or not under storm conditions.
- Nominations: Staff Council members were encouraged to spread the word about submitting nominations to fill slots that will be vacant for next year.
- Staff are invited to attend an upcoming open forum for a Strategic Planning update, on March 5.
- Personnel Policy Committee (Please see attached report)
- Nominations and Elections: About 15 nominations have been submitted to date. Council members were encouraged to reach out to prospective candidates. The possibility of having a table set up at the Campus Center to highlight the nomination process and encourage nominations was discussed. The deadline for nominations is March 2. Ballots to go out on March 12, with 12 – 13 slots available. Also, further discussion of the March 5 Strategic Planning Update at which two staff members will be honored by receiving the Gavel Award for outstanding service in the performance of their roles on campus.
- Diversity Committee: The monthly film showings in the Diversity Committee’s series, “Celebrating Diversity through Music,” continue. Films are shown on the 4th Tuesday of each month and will continue to be shown through May.
- Activities: Announcement and reminder of the upcoming St. Patrick’s Day Social was made, the Staff Council Book Exchange will take place March 26th in the Campus Center. Collection of books will take place on March 21, 22, 23 in the Campus Center. “Dog Day” will take place on Saturday, May 5.
- The Green Forum/Fair will take place on April 13. The planning is moving along well. Information on the Forum will soon begin to be sent out. There will be a light bulb exchange, old energy-inefficient light bulbs can be exchanged for a new energy-efficient bulb at the Fair. On April 28 there will be a Symposium incorporating the “Green” theme held at Clark Science Center.
- Staff who supervise student workers: such supervision is taken into consideration in annual performance evaluations. Staff are encouraged to make sure supervision is known of by their own supervisor. Discussion of staff job descriptions on file or not and containing accurate information about up-to-date job duties and responsibilities. Applicant Tracking software will eventually enable all job decriptions to be online. It was also reported that this issue has begun to be addressed in the context of the College’s Strategic Plan document.
New Business: New business was not discussed.
Adjournment: the meeting adjourned at 3:00pm. The next Staff Council meeting will be held on April 5, MMD Conference Room.