Attending: Joseph Bialek, Nancy Brady, Beverly Byrnes, Janice Cole, Cheryl Dellecese, Gayle Fitzgerald, Linda Laflam, Karen Lehouiller, Jinny Mason, Patricia Rist, William Sheehan, Xinh Spangler, Art Usher, Laurie Wyman, Kathy Yarnell
Excused: Adrianne Andrews, Suzanne Beaumier, Terrilyn Calloway, Lou Ann Krawczynski, Sabrina Marsh, Laura Matta, Janice McDowell, Steve Monteiro, Kim Perez, Rick Rubin, Sam Rush, Tara Zidonik
Guests: Stacey Anasazi, Sandy Bycenski, Jay Lucey, Louise Rouleau
1. Nancy Brady chaired meeting for Sam Rush
2. Minutes- Approved
3. Introduction of Staff Council members present and guests
4. Staff Council was asked to submit the names of three people willing to serve on the CCP committee (College Community Policy).When asked Cheryl Dellecese and Jinny Mason both volunteered. Already serving on the committee are Sandy Bycenski, and Karen Lehouiller.
5. Reports from standing sub-committees and ad hoc committees:
Communications Committee – Reported that the latest issue of the Chronicle received many compliments. Recognition given to all involved. The next issue is due out the second week in December.
Committee discussed ideas for a Community Forum. Community Forum is currently on hold.
Activities Committee – Ice Cream social went well, thanks given to all who volunteered to help. There was discussion on the need for a sign/banner stating “Sponsored by Staff Council”.
• 12/3 New York City bus trip.
• Wreath making class in November.
• Mardi gras event in February.
Personnel Policy (PPC) Committee –
• New parking Regulations well received.
• Web Time Entry- suggested staff involved be recognized. HR felt it would be too difficult because so many were involved and did not want to single out only a few. Mixed results on the progress so far with W.T.E.
• Liked the publication of College departures and arrivals. Suggested that transfers be added.
• Received complaints from staff concerning comments made at the HR Director Search meeting getting back to Supervisors. Staff questioned the College policy in regards to stuff being put into personnel files. The Policy is located in the Smith College Staff Handbook, Section 207.
Nominations and Elections – No meeting. Still need a replacement for Patty Kimura, waiting for Carol Christ to appoint a new member. Getting ready for spring recruitment of new members
Diversity- Trip to Salem cancelled. The committee put together a one hour film series that will be shown once a month at lunch time at the Kahn Institute beginning in October with the film “The Burning Times”. Some staff questioned whether all staff would have the opportunity to attend the series at the set time. Some suggested staggering the time. The Committee will look into. Diversity is looking for funding for films and possible snacks. They will show three films and then review.
New Business/ Open Discussions:
Discussed Transition from Tufts Health Care to Harvard Pilgrim. Concerns were raised about coverage under Harvard Pilgrim in regards to Physical Therapy and Mental Health. More input wanted from Human Resources.
Bike to work- Questioned whether it’s Time to lay foundation for spring? What if any energy should Staff Council put into this idea.
Meeting adjourned 3:00pm
Next Staff Council Meetings:
Thursday November 3, 2005 at Lilly Hall
Thursday December 1, 2005 at the Alumnae House