Anti-Racism Consultation Committee
The Anti-Racism Consultation Committee (ARCC) was formed about one year after the Anti-Racism Task Force, in 1995. Its purpose is to be available to any member of the SSW community for consultation about issues of race, ethnicity, culture and social justice.
The ARCC also assesses the SSW's progress towards becoming an anti-racism institution and issues a periodic progress report. Based on its consultations, ARCC makes recommendations to the dean about policy and programmatic changes to further the anti-racism mission.
The ARCC is a representative committee that maintains the confidentiality of those with whom it consults. Members include a faculty chair (appointed by the dean), the associate dean, two faculty members, a first and second year student representative, a representataive from the Council for Students of Color, a Bertha Reynolds Fellow (when available), an administrator, an administrative support staff member, and an alumni representative. SSW community members seeking consultation can contact any member of the committee.
All members of the SSW community have the ability to also consult with the Office of Institutional Diversity or with the ombudsperson at Smith about any issues or concerns. If a determination is made that an issue in the classroom also raises questions of academic freedom, the student and faculty member will be referred to SSW's Personnel Practices Committee.
- Yoosun Park - Acting Associate Dean, Chair
- Jacob Baldwin - First-Year Student Representative
- Joyce Everett - Faculty Representative
- Michael S. Funk - Senior Bertha Reynolds Fellow (Term 1)
- Irene Rodriguez Martin - Administrative Representative
- Arianne Napier - Second-Year Student Representative
- Fred Newdom - Adjunct Faculty Representative
- Shivani Seth - Council Representative
- Kaitlin Smith, A14 - Third-Year Student Representative
- Ruth Spencer - Senior Bertha Reynolds Fellow (Term 2)
- Doreen Underdue - Support Staff Representative
- Rani Varghese - Senior Bertha Reynolds Fellow (Term 1) and Alumni Representative