The Major in Sociology
SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology
SOC 201 Statistics for Sociology
SOC 250 Theories of Society
Either SOC 202 or SOC 203
Four sociology courses at the 200 or 300 level
- Two additional courses either in sociology or, with the approval of the major adviser, in related fields (these must be 200- or 300-level courses.)
One sociology seminar at Smith during the senior year
Normally majors may not take 201, 202, 203, 250 or their senior seminar on a pass/fail basis.
The department will permit Introduction to Sociology and up to four upper-level transfer courses from outside the Five-Colleges to be used for the completion of major requirements.
Normally transfer students will be required to take a minimum of five upper-level courses within the department toward the completion of the major.
The Minor in Sociology
- SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology
- SOC 201 Statistics for Sociology
- SOC 250 Theories of Societies
- Three additional courses at the 200 or 300 level