About Room Draw
Room Draw Numbers
Students will be assigned a room draw number randomly by computer, based on their official class year. This number designates the order in which students select a room in their house. (HPs will be allowed to choose their rooms first in their class year.)
Lottery for Changing Houses
Students who entered the lottery to change houses will receive an e-mail informing them of the house into which they will draw a room, their assigned room draw number, and the date and time they should come to the Carroll Room. A range of houses will be assigned on arrival time each night. Students may not enter the room selection area before their names are called.
How to Prepare
Please show up with at least six room choices in your preferred house. Floor plans will be posted in the Carroll Room, and empty rooms will be posted online during room draw.
If you are a rising junior or sophomore and there is a chance you will not get a single for the fall semester, please also have in mind at least five other students in your house with whom you would want to live with in a double or triple room. Students will not be able to draw into a double or triple room by themselves.
What to Expect at Room Draw
When you enter the Carroll Room you will be given an index card with your Name, ID number, class year, house (you are drawing a room in) and room draw number. There will be space provided to indicate the room you have chosen, your confirming signature and the signature of a staff person.
When Your Name Is Called to Enter the Carroll Room
- You must first check-in to receive your room draw card.
- You will then be sent to the waiting area to wait for your name to be called.
- Once it is called, you will be able to choose a room in the house to which you are assigned.
- Once you have chosen a room, your name will be written on the house roster next to the room you chose. Your chosen room number must be written on the room draw card.
- Sign the card and the staff person will initial it. Be sure you write A or B if the room is a double and indicate if you are moving into a house or an annex.
- Bring the card to the computer table. The staff person will enter your room choice into Banner and initial it.
If You Can't Attend Room Draw
If you can't make it to your own room draw or special lottery, you may send someone in your place as a proxy. If your proxy does not arrive in time for your room draw, a member of residence life will pick a room for you.
Choose a Proxy
If you choose a proxy, you must send an e-mail with all pertinent information, including an explicit statement that gives permission for this person to be your proxy. Your proxy will need to print out the e-mail and bring it to room draw when choosing your room. The proxy will choose a room for you just as if she were you.
Students on Leave
Spring or Full-Year Leave
Students on leave for spring or for the full year should participate in the existing housing lottery. You must notify us if you are using a proxy.
Students on leave for just the fall should fill out the Housing Application for Fall Leave Students form, which is typically due in November (see Forms & Applications).