Opened as a house in 1926, Dawes was soon transformed by the events of World War II.
The college began to question the future of its Junior Year in France program when Paris fell to occupied forces in the early years of the war. So Dawes was opened as La Maison Française in the autumn of 1941 as Smith's center for French language and culture. After the war, the house continued as the French house, a place where sophomores worked on their fluency before going abroad for their junior year, and where seniors returned from theirs. In 1977, the original house was torn down to accommodate construction of on-campus student apartments, the Friedman Houses. Dawes House was relocated to its current location at 8 Bedford Terrace.
In Dawes, students are encouraged to speak French and all house meetings are conducted in French. The house subscribes to a variety of French magazines and newspapers. Even house flyers and signs are translated into French in keeping with the theme.
|Year Built||c. 1892|
|Approximate number sharing a bathroom||5|
First floor (PDF)
Second floor (PDF)
Third floor (PDF)