Originally built in 1827, Chase House was occupied by several prominent local families until established as a school for girls by Mary A. Burnham in the 1870s. The Burnham School was incorporated into the college as a campus house in 1968 and named for Mary Ellen Chase, an accomplished writer and professor of English literature at Smith.
Chase maintains a cheerful and relaxed house environment, and late night chats in the living room are a popular social activity. The house hosts tea every week and several study breaks as well, along with two larger annual events: winter and spring weekend. Chase also has an area coordinator office on the ground floor.
Substance Free Portion of the House
The third floor and half of the second floor of Chase are substance free.
|Approximate number sharing a bathroom||27|
First floor (PDF)
Second floor (PDF)
Third floor (PDF)