Jordan House is one of the 10 houses that make up a complex of residences known as "the Quad." Since the quad is a 10-minute walk from academic buildings, and a 15-minute walk to downtown Northampton, many residents prefer to use bicycles.
The complex was built in stages starting in 1922, to alleviate a housing shortage on campus. When all the houses were completed in 1936, William Allan Neilson, then president of Smith College, dubbed it the "Great Quadrangle."
In 1922, the first three quadrangle houses, Jordan, Cushing, and Emerson, were completed. Jordan House was named for Mary Augusta Jordan, one of the first American women scholars who was a professor of English at Smith from 1884 to 1921, and who was known for her brilliance and eccentric personality.
An especially cozy living room is a favorite gathering place for Jordan residents.
And the bicycle path between the quad and the center of campus is especially scenic. It passes the president's house and offers a beautiful view of Paradise Pond and island.
|Approximate number sharing a bathroom||27|
First floor (PDF)
Second floor (PDF)
Third floor (PDF)
Fourth floor (PDF)