Park complex consists of Park House and Park Annex. Both houses in the Park complex are old homes with close links to the history of Northampton and Smith College.
An elaborate house with a view of Paradise Pond, Park House was built in 1880 by W.T. Clement, the founder of Clement Cutlery Company. In 1909, the house was acquired by Mrs. Emily Malbon, who rented it as off-campus housing for Smith students. When Smith College acquired the property in 1923, Mrs. Malbon's (as it was once known) became Park House, named for one of the original trustees of the college, Reverend Edwards Amasa Park.
Park Annex was a house that once belonged to members of the Look family who gave Look Park to the city of Northampton. It was also rented as off-campus housing to Smith students before it was acquired by the college in 1920.
The Park complex is in a scenic spot: near the president's house and Paradise Pond. It is a five-minute walk to the central campus area with the libraries, classrooms and administrative buildings, and about a ten-minute walk to downtown Northampton. Many Park Complex residents have bicycles on campus and prefer to cycle to class or town.
|Year Built (house and annex)||1880|
|Residential floors (house)||4|
|Residential Floors (annex)||3|
|Triples||0||Approximate number sharing bathroom (house)||21|
|Approximate number sharing bathroom (annex)||5|
All floors (PDF)
Annex - all floors (PDF)