Friedman is a complex of apartment units housing mostly seniors; it opened in 1978 on the site of the original Dawes House.
The Friedman apartments were named for Robert and Eugenie Friedman, from the Smith class of 1947, who funded the buildings. The on-campus apartments were built in response to requests from students in the 1960s and 1970s for more independent living options.
With the exception of one apartment of six, the Friedman units house four students each, for a total of 52 residents. The residents are responsible for their own housekeeping and cooking—skills that they will need after graduation.
Each apartment is completely furnished; however, students must provide the cooking utensils and cookware. The townhouse atmosphere is conducive to studying, as all the bedrooms are on the second floor.
|Approximate number sharing a bathroom||4|
|Open during Thanksgiving & spring breaks||Yes|
A: First floor (PDF)
A: Second floor (PDF)
B: First floor floor (PDF)
B: Second floor floor (PDF)
C: First floor floor (PDF)
C: Second floor floor (PDF)
D: First floor floor (PDF)
D: Second floor floor (PDF)