About the Office
Smith Houses
Forms & Applications
Room Draw & Lottery
Break Housing & Storage
House Maintenance
Food & Dining
Student Handbook
Smith Social Network
Facebook Twitter
Frequently Asked Questions

What will my street address be?

You can receive/send mail at the college's postal center, located in the Campus Center Lower Level. Mail is not delivered to the houses. Your assigned box number will be sent to your home address during the latter part of the summer, in a postal info packet. (You'll keep the same box number for your entire time at Smith.) Your mailing address will begin with 1 Chapin Way, then your Campus Box #.

How big are the rooms?

The rooms vary in size by house and by the number of students they accommodate. The average single is 9' x 10' and the average double is 12' x 14'.

What size are the windows in the houses?

The size of the windows varies even more than the size of the rooms. We encourage you to decorate your room with curtains, which you can do with an adjustable tension rod. Rooms in Cutter and Ziskind houses already have curtains.

What size are the beds? Do we need to bring our own sheets and linens?

The beds are regular twin mattresses; they do not require extra-long sheets. (Exception: Haven, Morris, and Baldwin do have mattresses which ARE extra-long twin size). You will need to bring sheets, blankets, pillows, linens, towels, etc.

What should I bring with me?

When you arrive, your room will contain a twin bed, desk with chair, bureau, mirror, phone, bookcase, recycling container, and window screens. You will need to bring the following items:

Other items that students often bring include:

You'll need a heavy coat, gloves, a hat, a scarf and warm, waterproof boots for our Massachusetts winters, which can come in November and stay until March. Boots and shoes with good traction are a big help on icy days. For rain, you'll need raingear and/or umbrella.

Appliances that can be used include radios, clocks, stereos, TVs, lamps, hair dryers, humidifiers, electric blankets, computers, printers, VCRs, hot air corn poppers, and coffee pots that have UL approval. Llightweight refrigerators no larger than 3.5 cubic feet in capacity are allowed but discouraged for reasons of sustainability.

What can't I bring with me?

The following items are prohibited because they pose fire hazards:

Also not allowed: Christmas trees, branches, live or dry wreaths; air conditioners; charcoal grills, crockpots, doughnut makers, electric fry pans, gas appliances, hamburger makers, waffle irons, and woks.

Can we visit our room before school starts, once we know our room assignment?

No. Because the summer is extremely busy and not all houses are empty at that time, it is impossible for us to show houses and rooms.

Is smoking allowed in the houses?

Smoking is forbidden in all campus buildings.

Can I bring a car to campus?

First-year students are not permitted to bring cars. All students should be aware that there is also a shortage of off-campus parking in Northampton. Much street parking is far from the college, and on-street parking is prohibited during snow emergencies from the first declared snow emergency to April 1. Smith College Public Safety personnel and Northampton police ticket and tow cars parked in violation of college or city regulations.

Okay, when should I get there?

We're looking forward to meeting you when the houses open for the year. If you're moving into a college house, we know you'll be anxious to get there. But before stopping at your house to unload all those treasured belongings, please attend Central Check-In at the Indoor Track and Tennis Facility (ITT), which is part of the Ainsworth athletic complex on College Lane. There we will officially welcome you with your house and room keys, course registration materials, orientation packet and college publications. You'll also be asked to complete any required forms and resolve any issues related to health services, student employment, financial aid or paying your bill.

What if I have a disability?

If you have a documented disability -- including, but not limited to, sensory or mobility impairment, a chronic illness, a learning disability, a medical or psychological condition, or being in recovery from substance abuse -- we encourage you to register with the Office of Disability Services as soon as possible. You can do this by completing the disability identification form you received in the first mailing from the Office of Admission and returning it directly to the disability services director, College Hall 3. The form contains instructions and describes the requirements for submitting supporting documentation. Before or immediately after your arrival on campus, please schedule a meeting with the director to discuss accommodation plans. This is especially important for students needing help to get books in alternative formats, e.g., tapes or disks. Call the Office of Disability Services at (413) 585-2071 or via TTY at (413) 585-2072 if you have any questions.