Credit is transferred on a course-by-course basis. Course work accepted for transfer must parallel Smith's own course offerings.
Five College Interchange
While credits earned through the Five College Interchange are not considered transfer credits and therefore are not subject to these restrictions, only those courses that are of the general type and level offered at Smith are acceptable.
Interterm and summer sessions at UMass are not included in the Five College Interchange and therefore are considered transfer credit, subject to the restrictions and procedures required for the acceptance of transfer credit.
Courses Considered for Transfer Credit
- Math courses at the level of pre-calculus and above
- Computer science courses which involve problem solving and use of a language such as C, C++ or JAVA to receive credit. Courses such as Introduction to Data Processing will not receive credit.
- Independent study which has been evaluated and approved by the appropriate academic department at Smith
- One course in accounting (up to 4 credits)
- One course in speech (up to 4 credits) upon satisfactory review of the syllabus by the director of the Jacobson Center.
Ineligible Courses for Transfer Credit
- The first semester only of an introductory language taught at Smith in a department that requires a full year of language study (consult the college bulletin for departmental policies)
- Group performance music courses (i.e., choir, orchestra, band)
- Internships of any kind, including those linked to course work
- Pre-professional courses including but not limited to journalism, legal studies, business, marketing and management, communications, criminal justice, nursing, social work
- English as a Second Language or other remedial courses
- CLEP or placement examinations
- ROTC and/or military courses
- Correspondence or distance learning courses
- Participation in team sports