Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Each student is responsible for knowing all regulations governing the curriculum and course registration and is responsible for planning a course of study in accordance with those regulations and the requirements for the degree.
The requirements for the undergraduate degree are:
- Four semesters of academic work, a minimum of 64 completed credits, in academic residence at Smith College in Northampton. Two of these semesters must be completed during the junior or senior year.
- 128 credits of academic work.
- Cumulative average of 2.0 for all four years and a minimum 2.0 average for the senior year.
- Completion of a major.
- Satisfactory (C– or better) completion of a writing-intensive course during the first year.
Bachelor of Arts
- Completion of 64 credits of academic work outside the department or program of the major.
Any course (including prerequisites) which is explicitly listed in the catalogue as required for, or counting toward, fulfilling the requirements of the major shall be considered to be inside the major for the purposes of this rule.
The sole exception to the 64–credit rule is that in the case of a major requiring study of two foreign languages taught within a single department or program, no fewer than 56 credits shall be taken outside the department or program of the major.
Bachelor of Science
The requirements for the bachelor of science degree are listed in the Smith College Course Catalogue in the courses of study section under "engineering."
- A limited number of performance credits may be counted toward the degree:
- Exercise and Sport Studies: maximum of 4 credits
- Music: maximum of 24 credits
- Dance: maximum of 12 credits, 20 credits for majors
- A maximum of 16 credits of S/U grades may be counted toward the degree.
- A maximum of 16 credits of special studies may be counted toward the degree.
- A maximum of 12 approved summer school credits and a maximum of 12 approved Interterm credits at Smith or elsewhere may be applied to the degree, with an overall maximum of 32 credits of combined summer, Interterm, AP and other pre–matriculation credits.