The purchasing department is the business unit responsible for negotiating contracts, managing the procurement and travel card program and procuring products and services for the college.
Customer service and obtaining cost savings is a priority. As a servicing department, our goal is to develop and maintain an excellent working relationship with college departments. Purchasing is committed to supporting the instructional, research and educational mission of Smith College.
Purchasing provides the following services:
- Conducting competitive bidding (RFQs), requests for proposals (RFPs) and negotiations on your behalf
- Negotiating college-wide contracts (negotiate campus contracts that aggregates the college's buying power to obtain favorable prices and contract terms).
- Signing contracts and committing college funds as authorized agents of the college
- Issues consulting agreements and contractor agreements
- Ensuring vendor compliance to contract performance and pricing requirements
- Managing and administering the Procurement Card Program
- Providing information on valuable MHEC and Massachusetts contracts for many items that colleges and universities buy in common
- Providing information about products, prices and suppliers
- Researching new products and locating suppliers for you
- Monitoring the marketplace and keeping you informed of market conditions
- Issuing Smith College purchase orders
- Expediting timely deliveries
- Resolving disputes with vendors
- Coordinating vendor liability insurance
- Filing credit applications for you with new vendors
- Managing the recycling and disposal of surplus items
- Managing the fleet copier program