The Smith College Corporate Card Program cards are coded for either purchasing expendable supplies or for both purchasing supplies and travel.
Payment is made to the bank by the college; the cardholder does not pay the monthly statement. When using the card for travel, the Controller's Office Travel and Entertainment (T&E) expense policy still applies.
When purchasing supplies, you can use the card for subscriptions, local stores, online ordering and almost anywhere MasterCard is accepted.
You must be a Smith employee to be eligible for a corporate card; temporary employees are not eligible. In order to receive a card, please submit completed and signed Account and Agreement forms (please see link to forms below).
Only the cardholder whose name is embossed on the card is authorized to use the card and is responsible for ensuring that all charges made with the card are in compliance with these policies and procedures. Card sharing is prohibited.
Applying for the College Corporate Card
Please submit the two completed and signed forms to the Purchasing Office at 126 West St.
- College Corporate Card Account Form (PDF revised 4-23-12)
- College Corporate Card Agreement Form (PDF revised 4-23-12)
Both forms are to be signed by you and your direct supervisor.
Return forms in a sealed envelope marked "CONFIDENTIAL" to:
Smith College Purchasing Office
126 West Street
Unauthorized Uses and Unauthorized Items
You may not use the corporate card for the following:
- Employee gifts, cash advances, pre-paid gift cards or personal items
- Flowers exceeding $25, see Smith Code of Conduct, Gift and Gratuities
- Cell phones, PDA's, voice/data services (there are a few exceptions authorized by the Controller's Office for pooled phones)
- Faculty should refrain from using the card for any CFCD realted expenses
- Internet or online payment mechanisms such as PayPal and others that do not identify the ultimate payee. You may not fund a PayPal account.
- Moving expenses
- Firearms, ammunition or explosives
- Donations and contributions
- Fines and penalties
- Postage - please use Smith College Copy and Mail Sevices for sending out Smith College related mail.
- Payments for services, including payments to independent contractors or consultants
- Personal vehcile expenses, including gas (reimbursement for such costs are made through the mileage reimbursement allowance. Only purchases for College vehicles are permitted on a College Corporate card).
- The card may not be used at on-campus retail divisions (Smith College Computer Store, Museum Store and Café). When purchasing from an on-campus retail division, please be prepared to provide your org and account code so a journal entry between the two departments can be used to facilitate payment.
*Incidental purchases of food and beverages may be made at local grocery stores for department catered luncheons or receptions. However, when an employee is accompanying a visitor or guest, the T&E expense policy posted on the Controller's Web site applies to meals or entertainment. See the Controller's Office Web site for details on entertainment documentation and accounting procedures.
Refer to the Purchasing Guidelines Grid (PDF) for appropriate forms of payment according to the cost of services.
- Unless specifically authorized, single purchase limit must not exceed $5,000 per transaction.
- Transactions may not be split in order to bypass the single purchase transaction limit. Splitting a transaction to bypass the corporate card limit is a college violation.
- Number of daily authorizations allowed is 10 transactions per card.
- Monthly spending limit (to be determined for your account).
- Some individuals may have additional limits or variances due to work responsibilities or grant guidelines.
Each corporate card is assigned to an individual user and is restricted to one default org and account code (transactions can be moved to another account code after a transaction is made). More than one person may have the same default org and account code. Cardholders and their supervisors are required to sign the cardholder agreement so that there is a written record of individuals responsible for the card.
FAAINVT allows end users to reconcile the acccounting information for card transactions directly in Banner. Contact the purchasing office at extension 2231 if your department has questions regarding this process.
Bank of New York Mellon (BNYM):
The online expense report management (ERM) system is a complete expense reporting system for all card transactions and reimbursement. It allows end users to view their transactions on the bank's website at any time. The online expense reports route to the cardholders supervisor for online approval.
Only trained cardholders may use this system. Cardholders that have not been trained, are not set-up to use the online system. If your office is interested in being traned, please contact Procurement Director at ext. 2231
Payments that appear on the monthly corporate card statement have already been made electronically to Bank of New York Mellon (BNYM). Corrections are made in arrears. The individual cardholder has the task of carefully gathering all records of corporate card transactions, in a timely fashion and in an auditable form, and forwarding them to the controller's office within 30 days of the statement date.
Records must be maintained for a minimum of seven years, unless otherwise stipulated in the grant to be held longer. Section 112 of the Staff Handbook-Archives Policy also applies. As of July 1, 2010 the controller's office is designated as the official custodian of these records. As of July 1, 2010 records must be forwarded to the controller's office within 30 days of receiving the statement. The department remains the official custodian for records before July 1, 2010. Please retain these records for the required time period. Please contact the controller's office if you would like that office to be the official custodian for records prior to July 1, 2010. Please see Receipt Submission How-to Guide
Charge slips and receipts must be retained by the department.
All charge slips should be itemized and contain the following information:
- Item description
- Unit costs
- Total cost
- Date of transaction
- Internal accounting information
- Signature of authorized cardholder
The monthly statement and itemized receipts should provide a clear audit trail. The approving official has the responsibility for ensuring that all expenditures on the card are proper and in accordance with college policies and procedures. The front of the statement must be signed by the cardholder and the cardholder's supervisor, verifying review of the statement and accompanying receipts.
The monthly statement must be reviewed promptly. Each charge slip should be compared against the statement, all discrepancies resolved, and a Journal Voucher Form completed, signed and sent to the controller's office with a copy of the bank statement and they will make any necessary transfers or adjustments needed to accurately reflect the expenditures in your budget reports. Send all records to the controller's office within 30 days of the state date.
All grant expenditures must conform to the requirements of the grant. The cardholder is responsible for reviewing such requirements and complying with them.
Corporate card statements, with corresponding receipts stapled to each statement, are to be sent to the Controller's Office within 30 days of the statement date.
The monlthy statement is mailed out after the card cyle cut date. Please click link to see calendar year 2012 cycle cut dates.
Bank of New York Mellon (BNYM) Contacts
To activate your card: Sticker on the card should read 1-800-535-6807
- Report a lost or stolen card: 1-800-258-9275 & follow prompts
- Request a copy of a charge slip 1-800-258-9275 & follow prompts
- Customer service: 1-800-258-9275 & follow prompts
- Dispute a charge: 1-800-258-9275 & follow prompt (option 4). To resolve a dispute or question a charge, you must call BNYM and complete the BNYM Forms that they send to you within 30 days of the monthly cycle cut date.
Termination/Cancellation of the Corporate Card
Corporate cards may be cancelled if a department or individual does not comply with policies or procedures.
Use of the card for personal purchases is cause for immediate cancellation of the card and possible disciplinary action by the college.
Immediately notify Bank of New York Mellon and the Purchasing Office if the card is lost or stolen.
Failure to Send Statements
Failure to send the Controller's Office the reviewed and approved monthly statement, with required attachments/receipts, within 30 days shall lead to cancellation of the card and possible disciplinary action by the college.
Terminated or Transferred Employee
Employees terminating employment or transferring to another department must return any corporate cards in their possession to the Purchasing Office prior to departure or transfer.
Cards are renewed every two years. The card is automatically terminated at the end of the contract period with the bank.
Corporate Card Violation
Failure to comply with the corporate card policy as outlined on this page may result in revocation of the card in your name. Please read consequences of College Corporate Card policy violations.