Organization Transition and Recognition
Each student organization leaves a special mark on the cultural, social and intellectual life of Smith College. In officially recognizing organizations, we in turn recognize the contributions that organizations make to the quality of life at Smith, aiding us in our commitment to providing a safe and inclusive learning environment that promotes personal growth, leadership development, co-curricular involvement, intellectual inquiry, global stewardship, social responsibility and the valuing of difference in all forms.
NEW! Transition and Recognition Timeline and Details
We are excited to share changes to the Organization transition and recognition process.
Hold elections within your Organization by the last day of class, Friday, May 2, 2015.
We encourage you to do this sooner rather than later, but you should have it all set by May 2. If possible, you're going to want to know who will be running things before you leave for the summer.
Complete your 2015-16 Re-Registration form on the Smith Social Network.
This form will open April 1. Forms submitted between April 1 and May 2 will not be approved until the academic year closes.
***NEW DEADLINE: The new deadline to submit Organization Re-Registration forms is Wednesday, September 9. We have moved from an April deadline to September 9 to accomodate changes and updates and to ensure that we are operating with the most updated information possible.
PRESIDENTS/CHAIRS/CO-CHAIRS DINNER MEETING
Presidents must attend the mandatory working meeting on Thursday, September 10 from 5 - 7 pm in the Campus Center Carroll Room.
This working meeting is necessary to be sure all of your information is updated and processes and procedures are clear for how organizations conduct business. We will feed you and facilitate a fast paced, information meeting that will allow you to get work done in the moment. Everyone is encouraged to bring a laptop or device to access the Smith Social Network during the meeting.
Treasurers must attend the mandatory training on Thursday, September 10 from 7:30 - 9 pm in the Campus Center Carroll Room.
This training is necessary for treasurers to learn how to process requests in the Smith Social Network.
STUDENT INVOLVEMENT FAIR, FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 18
The Student Involvement Fair will be held Friday, September 18 from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm.
All organizations will be registered to participate in this fair by completing the re-registration form on the Smith Social Network. No additional registration is needed.
It is your responsibility to prepare materials for your tables and be prepared to staff them for the duration of the event. We will provide tablecloths for each organization upon check in at the OSE table in front of the Campus Center.
Benefits of Recognized Organizations
Student organizations officially recognized by the college receive many benefits, including:
- An active page on the Smith Social Network.
- The use of college space by reserving meeting rooms, programming spaces and outdoor event space.
- Permission to publicize, poster and reserve banner space.
- Permission to use the Smith name with your organization.
- Use of a student organization mailbox in the resource room.
- Ability to apply for and receive funding from college funding sources.
- E-mail and website organization accounts.
- Access to vending tables and cash boxes in the Campus Center.
- Ability to apply for and/or receive an office or storage space in the Campus Center or other student organization designated office building.
- Participation in the annual Student Involvement Fair held at the beginning of the fall semester.
- Organization bank account through the College Controller's Office.
- Ability to use the student organization credit card to make club-related purchases, available through the OSE.