Contact Us
Disability Services Policy
Register Your Disability
Academic Accommodations
On-Campus Resources
Smith Employees
Visitors to the College
On-Campus Resources
Disability Culture & Community Events
News & Announcements
Accommodations & Services

Related Link

The Office of Disability Services provides accommodations for students depending upon their needs. We ask that students fill out an Accommodation Request Form requesting their specific accommodations in one of two ways: online or in paper.

Request for Accommodations

ODS ACCOMMODATE:  Online Request Process

Welcome to the Office of Disability Services (ODS) new online accommodation and information system!  Over the next year ODS will move toward an online process for requesting and approving accommodations for students who are registered with the office, meaning you have met with the Disability Services Director, completed a Disability Identification form, and submitted necessary documentation.

New Students:

New students must initially contact the Office of Disability Services to register, but will then be added to the system for future accommodation and service requests. An initial Accommodations and Service Request Form (PDF) must be completed and submitted to the office. Accommodations are reviewed every semester to ensure that students are receiving appropriate and effective accommodations and services.

Returning Students:

Students who are already registered with ODS can log in here with their secure Shibboleth password to:

You will also find information, updates, and notices from ODS each time you sign on.

Students may still make requests in person or contact us for assistance in using the online system.

Please be patient as we work through any glitches and definitely let us know how this is working for you.  Thanks!

Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis considering an individual's limitations and the academic demands and responsibilities of residential life at Smith College.

Common Student Accommodations & Services

Common academic accommodations made by the college include:

Student Involvement

Accommodations will be discussed with the student and will be arranged through the Office of Disability Services with significant involvement of the student. Professors are notified of necessary academic accommodations by the Office of Disability Services through a letter delivered by the student in order to initiate communication and collaboration.

Students are responsible for notifying the Office of Disability Services if difficulties arise during the course of the semester. Students must also work closely with the office when ongoing support services are being provided such as sign language interpreters, alternative format materials or transportation. Failure to keep in communication or adhere to reasonable expectation for responsible use of accommodations and services may result in suspension or termination of services.


Smith College does not provide testing for learning disabilities or ADHD, but Smith's student health insurance offers coverage for some of these costs. Please consult the student health insurance provider. We also do not provide specialized LD tutors, academic or personal coaching, or case management. Individuals who need this type of support will be referred to appropriate resources in the community to the extent that they are available.


If you disagree with the final decision of the Disability Director or with a faculty member about your accommodations, please speak to your Class Dean to see if an informal resolution can be achieved. If you wish to file a formal grievance you may contact the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity at 413-585-2141 and follow the college's procedures outlined on their website.

Service Animal Policy

Service Animal Policy and Housing Contract (PDF)

Smith College is committed to assuring equal access for disabled students, staff, and faculty, as well as guests and visitors to the campus. It is the College’s policy to permit service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, and may permit Support Animals, as determined on a case by case basis, to reside in the residence hall with a student with a documented disability as a reasonable accommodation.