Luster on Jonson's Whacks
- Lighting Up and Liking It
- Have You Ever Seen a Dream Working?
- House Calls
- Commentary: Women's Colleges: He Finally Gets it
- NewsSmith is published by the Smith College Office
of College Relations for alumnae, staff, students and friends. We welcome
your comments and suggestions; please click
here to send e-mail.
- Editor: Jan McCoy Ebbets
- Art Director and Web design: John Gerard Eue M.A. '94
- Contributing staff: Cathy Brooks, Jillian Hanson, Jan
Keefe, Sally Rubenstone '73, Ann E. Shanahan '59, John Sippel
- Principal photography: Jim Gipe
- Smith College Notice
- Of all the things accomplished
in higher education, none may be as powerful as the business of teaching.
At Smith, that rests in the capable hands of some 260 faculty members.
Among them are, left to right, Ann Jones, Dick Briggs, Paula Varsano, Marc
Steinberg, Steve Williams and Brenda Allen.
- It's the second week of the term at Smith College. Marc
Steinberg, associate professor of sociology, is spinning about his classroom,
a custom-made "(Not So) Hard Theory Café" cap cocked on
the side of his head, an ill-fitting lab coat draped over his T-shirt and
blue jeans. He's trying to impress upon his sociology students the importance
of epistemology as they approach the study of theory. But, you ask, why
the lab coat and baseball hat?
College home page | NewsSmith
- Copyright © 1998, Smith College. Portions of this
publication may be reproduced with the permission of the Office of College
Relations, Garrison Hall, Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts 01063;
(413) 585-2170. Last update: 1/19/98.