Smith College Admission Academics Student Life About Smith news Offices
News Release Bookmark and Share

Jan. 14, 2010

Students Briefly Evacuate House Due to Minor Fire

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. – A student residence at Smith College was evacuated for a short time early this morning after an apparent careless disposal of cigarettes ignited a small fire near the basement entryway.

At about 2:35 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 14, a smoke alarm at Gillett House on Elm Street alerted students to the fire. No one was injured and the students relocated to Northrop House while the fire was extinguished.

Northampton Fire Department was confident that the blaze, which was contained to the wooden hatchway that leads to the basement door, was accidental.

Although the spring semester does not begin until Jan. 25, about one-third of the student population is currently on campus for January-Term courses and athletic teams.


Office of College Relations
Smith College
Garrison Hall
Northampton, Massachusetts 01063

Kristen Cole
Media Relations Director
T (413) 585-2190
F (413) 585-2174

Current News &

News Release

DirectoryCalendarCampus MapVirtual TourContact UsSite A-Z