Construction Projects Upgrade Various Campus Spaces
While the two-year renovation of the is the most prominent and extensive construction project at Smith this summer, a number of more modest projects are in the works across campus.
Below is a partial rundown of summer construction projects.
Several houses are being outfitted with interior upgrades:
- Morrow, Wilson, Hubbard, Wesley, Comstock, Wilder and 150 Elm St. are all receiving high-efficiency LED lighting in living rooms.
- Some of those houses are also receiving new wall, floor and bathroom finishes, new rooms for waste and recycling management, and new paint and furniture in living rooms and corridors.
- A new, ADA-compliant laundry room is being installed in Comstock and Wilder.
- Morrow House is receiving kitchen upgrades.
Several athletic buildings and facilities are getting touch-up:
- Ainsworth Gymnasium is having lighting and finishes upgraded to improve the entrance experience.
- The water treatment system is being improved in Dalton Swimming Pool, inside Ainsworth, and disability access is being added for the pool.
- Landscaping improvements are under way at the athletic fields, as well as upgrades on the outdoor track.
- A new interior window is being installed in Scott Gym.
- Storage containers are being installed in the Boat House.
- The president’s house, at 8 Paradise Road, is being equipped with an exterior ramp, a project long in the works, to facilitate access to the house; and with an ADA-compliant restroom on the first floor.
- The residence is also receiving other deferred improvements, including replacement of the home’s steam line, and updated flooring, painting and plumbing fixtures on the second floor.
Carpeting is being replaced in various locations of Neilson Library, including Neilson Browsing Room, which will also receive electrical and lighting upgrades.
- The mailroom area in the Campus Center garden level is receiving renovations mainly around student mail boxes to accommodate changes in mailing trends, such as more packages being delivered.
- The Carroll Room, on the second floor, is receiving improvements to the north wall, adding back in wood paneling as part of the room's original design.
- Water fountains are being replaced throughout the building.
Other notable projects include:
- the design and installation of several bike racks in various campus locations;
- interior modifications and lab renovations in Sabin-Reed;
- replacement of carpet in the admission building.