Annex Honored by Local Historic Commission
Park Annex: two views.
Annex is the latest among several renovated buildings on
the Smith campus to have been recognized with the Historic
Preservation Award, given by the Northampton Historic Commission.
The award honors construction projects within the Elm Street
Historic District that successfully complement the existing
The award was presented to Smith
representatives during the 34th annual awards ceremony of
the Northampton Historic Commission in the fall.
Park Annex—part of a two-building
complex with Park House, both built in 1880—was renovated
in summer 2008. Renovations included new slate and copper
roofing and energy efficient windows as well as repairs to
the exterior wood siding and ornamental woodwork on the porches
All work was completed with
the objective of restoring or maintaining the building’s
original architecture, noted Charlie Conant, project manager in facilities management.
The Northampton Historical Commission,
established in 1973, is a mayoral-appointed group committed
to preserving and complementing the city’s built environment.
The commission is chaired this year by Barbara Blumenthal, rare book specialist
in the Mortimer Rare Book Room at Smith.
Other buildings recognized were
those at 100 Conz Street, and 71 Chestnut Street in Florence,
as well as the First Churches of Northampton, Main Street.