The successful candidate will be a nationally recognized, strong, self-assured, entrepreneurial leader able to infuse the Smith College School for Social Work with a sense of common purpose and to create a record of accomplishment that raises the national and international profile of the School.
Requirements include a record of distinguished research, policy development, teaching, and/or public service; demonstrated management experience; an affinity for external fund development; an earned Ph.D., along with credentials that merit appointment at the rank of full professor in the School. An M.S.W. is desirable.
In addition, the candidate will possess the following:
- The capacity to develop a clear vision for the School in a new era of social work
- The ability to design and implement a sound strategic plan for the School's future in conjunction with the faculty
- The skills and experience to represent the School effectively within Smith College and to extend its profile and visibility regionally, nationally and internationally
- A collegial, consultative, transparent management style
- A commitment to creating and nurturing a distinguished faculty
- The willingness to embrace the opportunities that new technologies make possible for the curriculum
- Demonstrated fiscal management and planning expertise
- Commitment to an intellectually and culturally diverse academic environment
- Commitment to the anti-racism initiative
- Commitment to leadership in addressing the critical social issues of our time.
At a time when the college is experiencing the energizing effects of new presidential leadership, the dean will make critical contributions to the continued development of a distinguished institution. This is an exceptional opportunity for an individual with the drive, skill, and experience to bring creative leadership to the organization and to play a meaningful role in shaping its future. The new dean will embrace these opportunities, helping to realize the potential of the Smith College School for Social Work.