Director: Raphael Atlas
430d Honors Project
Full-year course; offered each year
431 Honors Project
Offered each fall
- GPA of 3.5 in classroom courses in music through the end of the junior year
- GPA of 3.3 in courses outside music through the end of the junior year
- Fulfill the requirements of the major
- Present a thesis or composition (430d or 431) equivalent to 8 credits
- Take an oral examination on the subject of the thesis
The thesis in history, theory, or cultural studies will normally be a research paper of approximately 50 pages. The thesis in composition will normally be a chamber work of substantial duration. The final grade (highest honors, high honors, honors, pass) will be calculated as follows: thesis (60 percent); grades in music (20 percent); performance on the oral examination (20 percent).
Students will take an oral examination on the subject of their thesis.