Summer 2013 Tuesday Workshop Series
All years welcome. No advance sign-up needed. Feel free to bring your lunch.
Writing Effective Resumes and Cover Letters for Social Workers
Tuesday, June 18, 12:30-1:30pm
King House Living Room
How is a social work resume different from resumes for other fields? What ingredients make a cover letter employers will actually want to read? Learn how to tailor your resume and cover letters to the social work field in this informal and interactive session. All years welcome—no advance sign-up needed. Feel free to bring your lunch.
Job Search & Networking Techniques for Social Workers
Tuesday, June 25, 12:30-1:30pm
King House Living Room
Your job search needs to go well beyond simply applying for posted positions. At this interactive and informal session, you will find out how to: Target and approach organizations; Tap into alum networks; Develop a job search timetable; and Discover the hidden job market.
Job Interview Skills for Social Workers
Tuesday, July 23, 12:30-1:30pm
House Lower Level Meeting Room
What are employers looking for in new social work grads? At this interactive and informal session, you will:
learn how to prepare for interviews; practice your answers to questions commonly asked during interviews for social work positions (including case presentations); and share your experience with interviews you may have already had.
Lazarus Center services are available to all School for Social Work students throughout the year, during summer session, and after graduation. These include:
- Individual advising appointments - Please call 413-585-2582 to set up an in-person or phone appointment to discuss any aspect of your job search.
- Our online guides on resumes and cover letters; networking and job search; and interviewing are suggested background reading before an individual appointment. Lunch-time workshops are offered on these topics during the summer.
- Practice your interview skills during a one-hour appointment with a career advisor. You don't need to have an interview scheduled to take advantage of this service.
- Job listings received by the Center may be found in E-Access. Enter with your 99#.
- Networking is an important component of anyone's job search. Consult the Center for access to the Alumnae Association of Smith College online directory.
- Annual SSW Career Fair - Details are on the Career Fairs page.