Employers often have summer job openings but do not advertise for them, making direct contact with organizations that interest you and networking two valuable strategies for tapping this hidden job market. Many experts say most jobs are found this way.
Lazarus Center advisors are happy to talk with you about your goals for the summer and direct you to resources for your search.
- Finding a Terrific Summer Job (PDF) - Lazarus Center guide covering all aspects of your summer job search; includes helpful resources and a timetable for getting started.
- Internships and Summer Jobs workshops are held throughout the summer and over J-term.
- E-Access is a database of opportunities received by the Lazarus Center. Check it often, and remember: E-Access is only a start-point for your search.
- Smith's Recruiting Programs and Career Fairs include summer job/internship employers.
- The Smith Office of Alumnae Relations online alumnae directory lists alums willing to discuss their career paths. For more information, see the networking section of our website.
Selected Summer Job Links
- Summer Undergraduate Research Programs are offered by many research institutes, universities, and colleges, including Smith's Clark Science Center. Find them through your department, a professional association for your field, and through federal agencies such as the NSF.
- BackdoorJobs.com has short-term job adventures. Search worldwide, wilderness, resort, hospitality, and more.
- Cool Works lists jobs in the kinds of places that most
people only get to visit.
- USAJOBS.gov - pathways for students and recent grads to federal careers. See also the government's summer job blog.
- Seasonal Jobs with the National Park Service - opportunities for guides, biological science technicians, visitor assistants, and more.
- Idealist lists non-profit organizations, jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities.
- Internships.com lists paid summer internships offering both experience and a pay check.
- Summerjobs.com - summer jobs and seasonal staff positions with camps, amusement parks, resorts, national parks, hotels, environmental organizations, and more.
- American Camping Association - seasonal and year-round opportunities in a variety of camps.