Students who wish to take summer courses abroad or domestically should follow the procedures for summer school credit available in the Class Deans Office.
Study Abroad Adviser: Justin Cammy
Universities in Israel offer intensive summer programs for all levels of Hebrew language study, and courses in Jewish studies and Middle Eastern studies.
- The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Hebrew University offers courses in classical and modern Hebrew, Arabic, Jewish Studies, Biblical Studies, Archeology, and Middle East Studies in June, July, August 2016)
- Tel Aviv University (TAU offers summer courses in Hebrew, Arabic, Yiddish and Middle East Studies in June, July, and August, 2016)
- Ben Gurion University of the Negev (Hebrew language Aug 3-August 28, 2016)
- Haifa University in summer 2016 Haifa University will offer intensive courses in Hebrew and Arabic language, archeology, and Israel studies
Session I: July 4, 2016 - July 28, 2016Session II: August 8, 2016 - September 1, 2016
N.B.: Special waivers are required of students electing to study in Israel. Please contact the study abroad adviser and/or the Office for International Study for more information.
- Leo Baeck Summer University, Berlin (LBSU) in Jewish Studies (June 30-August 12, 2016) Applications due by March 1, 2016.
- Summer School Program of the "Groszka Gate-NN Theatre"
Centre: Lublin, Poland (June 23-July 3, 2016)Applications due January 30, 2016
- Jewish Heritage Summer, Poland (May 28-June 26) Applications due April 1, 2016
- Jewish Journeys Central Europe (May 30-June 16) Applications due May 1, 2016
Hebrew Language Study in the U.S.
The following institutions offer excellent intensive summer Hebrew language instruction.
There is very little financial aid available for students studying at domestic (U.S.) programs. Students planning to attend a program at an American institution should apply for financial aid at that institution and for assistance through the Class Deans Office.
- Middlebury College's Brandeis Connection: Hebrew Summer Language School (Middlebury, VT: July 1- August 19, 2016) Applications are on a rolling basis.
Yiddish Language Study
Students interested in Yiddish language, literature, and culture are encouraged to attend one of the following programs.
- Yiddish Summer Program: Tel Aviv University
(Tel Aviv: June 26-July 21, 2016) Applications due May 1, 2016.
- Steiner Summer Yiddish Program National Yiddish Book Center, Amherst MA (June 5-Jul 22 2016)
Application Deadline: February 8, 2016
- Uriel Weinreich Program in Yiddish Language, Literature, and Culture (June 27-August 3, 2016) A joint program between Bard College and the Yivo Institute for Jewish Research. It is based at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City.
- Vilnius Yiddish Insitute (Vilnus University, Lithuania: July 17-August 12, 2016) Applications are now being accepted.
- Helix Project/YiddishkaytLA -- Jewish Cultures of Eastern Europe Applications due March 15, 2016
- Memory, Place, Presence Grodzka Gate NN Theatre Centre in cooperation with The University College of Enterprise and Administration in Lublin, Poland (June 23-July 3, 2016) Application Deadline: February 29, 2016
Yiddish Farm June 20-July 15, 2016http://yiddishfarm.com/summerprogram.html
Summer Study Grants
Intensive Summer Language Grants (Hebrew, Yiddish, Ladino would qualify!), deadline Monday March 14
Leila Wilson Fund for the study of a Middle Eastern Language, deadline Friday March 11
International Experience Grants (for study, research, internships, or volunteer opportunities), due second Monday in March
Praxis stipends for summer internships, due Sunday April 29