Students who wish to take summer courses abroad or domestically should follow the procedures for summer school credit available in the Class Deans Office.
Study Abroad Adviser: Justin Cammy
Universities in Israel offer intensive summer programs for all levels of Hebrew language study, and courses in Jewish studies and Middle Eastern studies.
- The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Hebrew University offers courses in classical and modern Hebrew, Arabic, Jewish Studies, Biblical Studies, Archeology, and Middle East Studies in June, July, August 2014) Applications due May 15, 2014.
- Tel Aviv University (TAU offers summer courses in Hebrew, Arabic, Yiddish and Middle East Studies in June, July, and August, 2014) Applications due April 25, 2014;
- Ben Gurion University of the Negev (Hebrew language July 31-August 28, 2014) Applicatin deadline for year, fall, or summer programs: June 1, 2014.
- Haifa University in summer 2014 Haifa University will offer intensive courses in Hebrew and Arabic language, archeology, and Israel studies
N.B.: Special waivers are required of students electing to study in Israel. Please contact the study abroad adviser and/or the Office for International Study for more information.
- Civitas Summer Professional Internship Program, Warsaw, Poland ( June 1 through July 31, 2015, in English) Applications are now open.
- Leo Baeck Summer University, Berlin (LBSU) in Jewish Studies (July 2-August 15, 2015) Applications due by March 2, 2015.
Hebrew Language Study in the U.S.
The following institutions offer excellent intensive summer Hebrew language instruction.
There is very little financial aid available for students studying at domestic (U.S.) programs. Students planning to attend a program at an American institution should apply for financial aid at that institution and for assistance through the Class Deans Office.
- Middlebury College's Brandeis Connection: Hebrew Summer Language School (Middlebury, VT: June 27 - August 15, 2014) Applications are on a rolling basis.
Yiddish Language Study
Students interested in Yiddish language, literature, and culture are encouraged to attend one of the following programs.
- Yiddish Summer Program: Tel Aviv University
(Tel Aviv: June 22-July 17, 2014 ) Applications due April 25, 2014.
- Steiner Summer Yiddish Program National Yiddish Book Center, Amherst MA (June 7-July 24 2015)
Application Deadline: February 10, 2015
- Uriel Weinreich Program in Yiddish Language, Literature, and Culture (June 23-Aug 1, 2014) A joint program between Bard College and the Yivo Institute for Jewish Research. It is based at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City.
- Vilnius Yiddish Insitute (Vilnus University, Lithuania: July 15-August 20, 2014) Applications are now being accepted.
- Helix Project/YiddishkaytLA -- Jewish Cultures of Eastern Europe
Application deadline: Late February 2014
International Summer Program in Yiddish Language and Culture, Warsaw http://www.jidyszland.pl
Yiddish Farm June 16-August 8, 2014http://yiddishfarm.com/summerprogram.html