The Program in Jewish Studies encourages international study as a way to enhance knowledge of Jewish civilization. The following Smith–approved institutions all offer courses in Jewish studies.
Study Abroad Adviser: Justin Cammy
Students planning to study for a year or semester in Israel are reminded that international study guidelines state that JUD 100y Elementary Modern Hebrew, or its equivalent is required prior to departure. Students considering study in Israel should enroll in JUD 100y in their first or second year.
Students who believe they already have the equivalent of JUD 100y will be required to take a Hebrew language proficiency exam administered by the Program in Jewish Studies to determine whether they have met the requirement.
Students applying to the Arava Program for Environmental Studies only may substitute a year of Arabic in place of a year of modern Hebrew in order to fulfill Smith's language requirement.
- The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Tel Aviv University
- The Arava Institute for Environmental Studies
N.B.: Special waivers are required of students electing to study in Israel. Please contact the study abroad advisor and/or the Office for International Study for more information.
- CET Jewish Studies in Prague (Prague, Czech Republic)
- Central European University (Budapest, Hungary)
- Trinity College, Herzog Center for Jewish and Near Eastern Religion (Dublin, Ireland)
- University of Cambridge, Jewish Studies in the Faculty of Divinity (Cambridge, England)
- University of Edinburgh, School of Divinity (Edinburgh, Scotland)
- University of London, Department of Languages and Cultures of the Near and Middle East (London, England)
- University of Manchester, Centre for Jewish Studies (Manchester, England)
- University College London, Department of Hebrew and Jewish Studies (London, England)
- University of Toronto, Jewish Studies Program (Toronto, Ontario)
- University of Cape Town, Kaplan Centre for Jewish Studies (South Africa)
Other Study Abroad Options
Students may wish to petition for permission to attend the following institutions:
- Ben Gurion University of the Negev
- McGill University, Department of Jewish Studies (Montreal, Quebec)
- University of Haifa
- Jewish Studies in Poland (The School of Russian and Asian Studies)
Jewish Studies in Latin America (Buenos Aires)