To change your Smith network password: www.smith.edu/changepass
Choose or change your challenge questions
Your Smith network account provides access to a vast array of web-based services and information. Now, with the advent of the Smith Portal and synchronized email passwords, your Smith network password serves as the gateway to more, and more valuable, information than ever, including:
- Your Smith email, calendars, contacts, and Google Docs
- Personal information, financial records, and academic data stored in your BannerWeb account
- Pharos printing services
- Access to the Smith's secure wireless networks
- Any files you store on a Smith network server, including Sophia
- Any files your store in your Smith cloud-based Box account
- Assignments, discussion threads, documents, and grades stored in your Moodle account
- Library resources from off-campus and your 5-College library account
The associated risks
Unfortunately, with the addition of each new service accessible via your Smith username and password comes greater vulnerability to password theft and possible:
- Exposure of your personal information
- Identity theft
- Theft of your intellectual property
- Liability for misuse of your account by another person
Hackers typically enter a legitimate Smith user name, then try to guess
the password for that account. But if you choose a strong password, protect it wisely, and change it periodically,
you are helping to safeguard not only your own data, but also the entire Smith network.
For help in understanding Smith's account password and security policy and guidance in choosing an optimal password, see:
Account Password & Security Policy Essentials
This document provides an overview of Smith's Account Password & Security Policy along with additional recommendations on password management and handling.
Choosing a Strong Network Password
This document provides guidance and strategies for choosing a strong network password that meets Smith's security requirements.
Back to top >
Password-Protecting Your Smith Computer
Even though your network files are protected by a Novell password, we strongly recommend setting a separate workstation password to protect your workstation from unauthorized access and add an additional level of security for your files.
Windows XP workstation
Windows 7 workstation
Mac computer workstation
Back to top >
BannerWeb & Banner
Accessing your BannerWeb account
This document explains how to use the Smith Portal to access BannerWeb and provides alternate instructions for users without a Smith network/email account.
Banner INB administrative system password
Back to top >