RSS FEEDS FOR INTERNET EXPLORER 6 USERS
Since Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (IE6) does not have built-in support for RSS feeds, you must install an external RSS feed reader in order to subscribe to and view RSS feeds.
One popular and well-tested RSS feed reader is called Feedreader. Visit the Feedreader web site for more information, or download a free copy from the File Forum download site.
For an extensive list of other downloadable feed readers, see:
Once you have Feedreader installed on your computer:
- Open Internet Explorer and go to the page that offers an RSS feed of interest to you.
For example, eDigest contains a page that offers several different RSS feeds:
- Click on an RSS feed you'd like to subscribe to. If you see a page with just code, you're in the right place.
For example, here's the page for the Faculty & Staff Notices RSS feed from eDigest:
- Once you're viewing the page of code, select the full URL for the page from the address bar.
- Close Internet Explorer (optional).
- Open Feedreader.
- Go to File, then New, then Feed.
- In the Add Feed box, paste in the URL you copied earlier, then click the Ok button.
- Click on any item in the Title list to view its content in the panel on the right.
- When you're finished reading items of interest, close Feedreader.
- Re-open Feedreader whenever you want to add a new feed or check for new items from your current RSS feeds.
Note: Feedreader shows only the new items added to an RSS feed. If the same item appeared in the title list on a previous date, it will not be listed again.