1. Web conferencing applications connect people by voice and imaging on computers or mobile devices. Rather like a phone call in which the callers can see and hear each other, web conferencing makes meetings of any sort possible among people in different locations. Instructors can bring guest presenters into the classroom for live interaction with students. Using tablets or other mobile devices, web conferencing can be done wherever wifi connection or cellular signal is available.
2. Video conferencing refers to two-way simultaneous audio/video telecommunication for group contact in remote locations. A video conferencing room has equipment singularly purposed to make this kind of transmission. Meeting or class participants gather in a video conferencing room in order to communicate live with people in a similar room.
The Smith College Center for Media Production's video conferencing room provides real time interactive exchange of high definition video, voice, and data with other video conferencing facilities around the world. The video conferencing room, upgraded in 2012, is state of the art with three display screens and an easy to use Extron touch screen controller.
ETS also supports a portable unit that can be taken to any campus classroom.
Who is using web or video conferencing:
- WFI - Women and Financial Independence 10th anniversary Keynote address was presented in Weindsteen Auditorium using the new portable C20 system. Burton Malkiel gave his talk to Smith from Princeton University.
- HST 208 - Met several times with a class at the University of Cairo to discuss cultural and the political issues.
- FRN250 - Meets regularly with a class in Paris to discuss current events and cultural issues.
- MED students and Clarke School - hold several classes with remote students video conferencing.
- SSW - The candidates and committee members are often located in different parts of the country. They use video conferencing to meet together for the dissertation defense.
- SSW faculty -participate in conferences at distant Universities and teach correction officers in the Michigan and Delaware.
- Many departments - Interview candidates without the expense and time of travel
- American Studies Program -met several times with colleagues at the University of Sarajevo through the US State Dept.
- Five Colleges - "BAMAKO": GLOBALIZATION ON TRIAL IN AFRICA video conference with Dakar, Senegal http://www.smith.edu/news/2007-08/BamakoConference.php
- Amherst College - Trustee gave a presentation to a MED national conference from the Smith College video conference room.
How can I explore web or video conferencing for myself?
Visit the video conferencing room in the Center for Media Production, lower level of the Alumnae Gym.
If you are bringing a guest into your classroom via web or video conferencing we can help. Contact: Jeff Heath, x2955, email@example.com, to schedule or to learn more.
To access Google +Hangout click the +(yourname) on the left side of the menu in your Smith Mail.