Smith College participates in a variety of research consortia, conducting surveys of students, faculty, alumnae and parents on a wide range of subjects. The data collected through these surveys is used to inform policy, support decision making and track progress. In addition, we regularly collect data on student learning outcomes.
Reports of the results of many surveys are available from on-campus computers. If you are a Smith community member accessing this page from on campus, you can see the data available online. If you are interested in learning more about any of the surveys we outline here, please contact our office at email@example.com or 413-585-3021.
Admitted Student Questionnaire (ASQ)
- Administered each spring to all admitted students, whether or not they enroll at Smith.
- Topics covered include: demographics of admitted students, importance of college characteristics, college selection process, sources of information about college and financial aid.
- Most recent data: 2013, n = 673
Currently Enrolled Students
CIRP First-Year Survey
- Administered every other year to all entering first-year students
- Topics covered include: demographics, self-reported abilities, activities and goals/plans of first-year Smith students.
- Most recent data: 2013, n = 388 first-time, full-time
Entering Student Survey (SNS)
- Administered every other fall to all entering first-year students (alternates with CIRP).
- Topics covered include: high-school experiences (learning style, engagement and preparation), self-assessment, college application behavior, expectations for college, and long-term education and life goals.
- Most recent data: 2012, n= 492
Global Perspectives Inventory (GPI)
- Administered to first-year students during the summer and to seniors upon graduation as part of the senior survey.
- Topics include intercultural competence, perspective taking and cultural sensitivity.
- Most recent data 2011 entering students.
- 2012 entering students, n = 492
- 2013 senior survey, n = 556
- 2013 alumnae survey, n = 1,209
CORE Alcohol and Drug Survey
- Administered every other year in the spring (opposite NCHA) to a random sample of 1/3 the student population.
- Topics covered include: availability, use, and consequences of drugs and alcohol on campus.
- Recent administrations: 2007, 2008, 2010.
National College Health Assessment (NCHA)
- Administered every other year (opposite CORE) in the spring to a random sample of 1/3 the student population
- Topics covered include: similar to the CORE survey, NCHA studies drug and alcohol use, sexual activity, wellness and other health behavior issues.
- Recent administrations: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014.
- Administered in spring (opposite ESS) to a random sample of 1/3 the student population.
- Topics covered include: satisfaction with student life and campus resources, harassment and discrimination and self-reported progress.
- Most recent data: 2012, n = 524
COFHE Enrolled Student Survey (ESS)
- Administered in spring (opposite Cycles) to a random sample of 1/3 the student population.
- Topics covered include: student demographics, student debt, parental educational attainment, sources for advice, student activities, academic challenges and skills acquired at Smith.
- Recent administrations: 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013.
- Administered each spring to all graduating seniors.
- Topics covered include: satisfaction with campus life and academic resources at Smith, and plans for life after Smith.
- Most recent data: 2013, n = 556
Retention Study Web Survey
- Administered to all students who withdrew from Smith in the past 10 years and to a control group of all currently enrolled sophomores and juniors.
- Topics covered include: reasons for leaving, likelihood of returning, education after Smith and overall satisfaction with Smith.
- Administered annually (beginning in 2009) to alumnae who are 2, 5, and 10 years post-graduation.
- Topics covered include: graduate education, jobs and careers, and satisfaction with Smith education.
- Most recent data: 2013, n=1,209
HERI Faculty Survey
- Administered to faculty during fall-winter.
- Topics covered include: demographics, activities (how time is spent), course load, faculty goals for Smith students and satisfaction with job (including salary and benefits).
- Recent administrations: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2014.
- Administered to parents of all enrolled students.
- Topics covered include: parent worries, sources of information about the college, satisfaction with Smith and financial aid awards/loans.
- Recent administrations: 2001, 2007, 2012.