- Building upon recommendations from decennial
- IR meeting with Chair
- Waiting for new faculty to join in fall to continue curricular goals conversations
- Learning Goals embedded in mission statement:
- As students learn and master the French language, they gain the ability to listen thoughtfully, speak articulately, read analytically, and write clearly.
- As they explore French and Francophone literatures, history, artistic creations, institutions, and thought, they develop historical and comparative perspectives.
- As they engage with communities beyond Smith through study and internships abroad, they become global citizens who value tolerance, appreciate diversity and thereby become prepared to face challenges of living in the twenty-first century.
- Assessment Design
- Use of proficiency/competency tests that carry internationally recognized credential
- seniors returning from a Junior Year Abroad in Paris or Geneva take assessment for the Diplôme de français professionnel granted by the Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Paris (CCIP).
- Test de Connaissance du Français (TCF) for students abroad in Paris
- Exploring the feasibility of establishing Smith as an accredited testing center for TCF
Selected Departmental Learning Goals