The Office for International Students & Scholars holds seminars and workshops during the year. The office also advises the International Students Organization, and helps showcase their events. Please check periodically to see when the next event or workshop is scheduled.
Open Office Hours
Have a Question? Need something signed? Want to know more about something?
Come to our ISSO open office hours, held every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 2-4pm on a first-come, first-served basis. If you cannot make it during those hours, feel free to contact the office to make an appointment.
Office closed for Thanksgiving: the office closes at noon on Wed, Nov.26th and reopens on Monday Dec.1st
Traveling during Thanksgiving Break: Make sure you have all your travel documents! For domestic travel, US driver's license, state IDs or your passports should be sufficient. For international travel, you must have your passport and I-20 (signed in the last 12 months)! Dean Caitlin and Sara will be available until Wednesday Nov. 26th to sign your I-20.
Winter Break Housing:
- Houses Close at 10:00 a.m. on December 20. Please make arrangements to leave your room promptly by10:00 a.m. The Campus Center will be open until 4:00 p.m.that day should you need a place to wait. Houses re-open on January 4, 2015 at 1:00 p.m. for students who are not January graduate or on leave during the spring semester.
- If you wish to stay on campus during the winter break period (December 20-Jan 4), You must complete the winter break housing form at www.smith.edu/reslife/forms.php. During the winter break period, all students who stay on campus will live in Cutter and Ziskind.
- If you have extenuating financial circumstances and your financial aid status does not reflect your ability to cover food costs, please note that in your housing questionnaire. Stipends will only be awarded to those students staying at least half of the Break. If you are eligible for a food stipend for winter break (either $25 or $50, based on length of stay and financial need), we will be in touch with you via email.This will be the last year that ISSO will offer food stipends for winter break.
- We ask that you save your receipts for items purchased with your stipend. At the end of Winter Break, you will need to turn in those receiptsby the start of classes (January 26) to Sue Pouliot (firstname.lastname@example.org) in Wright Hall 121. If you do not turn in receipts byJanuary 26, the college will charge your stipend amount back to your student account.
How can I get CPT for my summer internship?
- CPT Workshop and Q&A for First-years, Sophomores and Juniors
Tue Dec. 2nd 4 - 5 pm, Global Studies Center
Winter Closet is Back!
Time: 2-5 pm Dec. 5th, Friday
Place: Global Studies Center
Come and pick something that keeps you warm!
Take a Study Break with ISO!
Saturday Dec. 6th4 pm
The semester is almost coming to an end, which also means finals are on their way.Taking breaks while studying, as we all know, is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, and spending that break connecting with your fellowISOmembers is pretty much ideal!
There will be snacks, refreshments, music, games and and a fabulous opportunity for all the various classes to meet with each other and just generally ask questions about life at Smith!
Submit for Global Impressions Journal!
The recently founded Global Impressions online journal has just released its second issue titled, Adapting. Through Smith student and alumna written essays, the issue explores the idea of “adapting” in numerous international situations, from the physical, to the interpersonal, to defining what does or does not make a culture “authentic.” The journal is also currently accepting submissions for its third issue, Up Close/From Afarfeaturing photographs from the Lewis Global Studies Center International Photo Contest. Photographs not in the Photo Contest are also welcome. The editors of Global Impressions are interested in reflections about how the image has influenced an understanding of another culture, whether in the act of taking the photograph or when returning to it later. The deadline for submissions is January 16, 2015. See the submission page for details.