Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
The CPT program is an employment option for off-campus jobs, much like the OPT program. It is intended for students in their second or third year of studies or those who have been in F-1 student status for nine months or longer.
The CPT program differs from the OPT program in that the job for which you are applying is an integral part of your major and for which you will be receiving academic credit. The time you spend working on CPT is not deducted from your 12-month postcompletion Optional Practical Training program.
CPT permission is granted by the Office for International Students & Scholars. In order to qualify for CPT:
- You must be a sophomore or above
- You must have a declared major
- You must have a job offer and a letter from the employer in a field related to your major (not minor)
- You must register for a "Special Studies" course in the department of your major for which you will receive at least 1 credit sponsored by a Smith faculty member. This course will be taken in the fall semester following your summer CPT internship.*
- You must complete a short application form
*This course may be an independent study with a practical component, or a course in your department which already has a variable credit given for independent research or study.
How to Apply
CPT Application (DOC)
There is no application fee.
You may apply for CPT during the summer of your second and third year of studies. The employment authorization page of your I-20 will specify the permission granted for CPT as well as the authorized period during which you can work. It will also have the name and address of your employer.