About the Office
International Students Preorientation
Travelling to Smith
Life at Smith
Student Employment & Training
International Student Handbook
News & Events
Submit a Question
For Faculty & Scholars
Student Employment & Training

Students attending Smith on an F-1 visa are permitted to have campus jobs as a benefit of their visa status.

Work-Hour Limitations

First-year students can only work 10 hours; other students may work up to 12 hours.

Summer Employment

During the summer, as long as you are returning to Smith for the next academic term, you may work on a campus job on the Smith College campus. Please note: Students who work during the summer must pay housing and food costs to stay on campus.

Students who wish to work during the summer outside of Smith College but still within the United States must have special permission.

Work Permissions

There are two types of permission, both of which require that the work be within your major:

Curricular Pracitical Training

Students are eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) during the summer after sophomore and junior years. You must be returning to Smith College after the summer, as approval of CPT requires an academic component, usually the completion of a special studies course under direction of a faculty member. CPT authorization is free.

Optional Practical Training

Students are eligible for 12 months of Optional Practical Training (OPT), which may be taken during breaks (summer) or following graduation. OPT requires a lengthy application and approval process that can take as long as 90 days, so it is important to consult with the Office of International Students and Scholars early if you are considering this option.

Application for this program must be in your major, but does not carry a requirement for course credit. There is a $380 application fee required. Because this program is strictly optional, aid is not available for this program.