Human Resources announces changes to the college-age-dependent tuition benefit.
(Posted May 23, 2016)
New Annual Review Process
(Posted April 25, 2016)
Smith College is implementing a new staff performance management process beginning July 1, 2016. The new process involves managers and staff working together to plan, monitor, and review staff contributions and accomplishments at Smith in a three phase cycle. The new system is the culmination of a careful assessment and review that involved external benchmarking and research, focus groups of employees and managers, and feedback from college leadership.
Why the change?
- The current performance evaluation process had not undergone any change in the last 14 years.
- Both staff and managers indicated it was time for a change – concerns were expressed about confusing ratings and competencies, inconsistent application of the process, lack of connection between goal setting or linkage with larger college strategies, and individual performance evaluations.
What are the changes, and what are its benefits?
- Individual staff will have a clearer understanding of expectations, and what it takes to succeed in their positions. The first of three cycles in the process will begin in the July–September timeframe with goal setting, followed by a mid–year check in, and ending with annual review in the Spring. HR will provide training and communication for each cycle.
- The goals setting process will allow for specific and meaningful individual goals and greater understanding of how goals and performance are linked with larger division and college goals and strategy.
- Smith's competencies – the set of behaviors needed to be successful at Smith, are more concise and better defined.
- The new process facilitates more frequent communication, coaching, and feedback between staff and their supervisors and shifts away from a focus on performance assessment as an "annual event".
As we have previewed this new program we have received a lot of positive feedback. We'll be announcing multiple training and information sessions as we roll this out for the new fiscal year (July 1, 2016). We welcome your thoughts and feedback as we go through this implementation, and thank all of the staff and supervisors who participated in developing the new system.
President McCartney announces new parental leave policy for faculty and staff.
(Posted April 15, 2016)
The Office of Human Resources is now on Facebook and Twitter!
(Posted October 6, 2015)
Like SmithCollegeHR on Facebook, or follow @SmithCollegeHR on Twitter to get news and updates related to working at Smith College. HR will post information about upcoming programs, workshops, benefit and policy changes, along with discounts available for employees. Check us out today!