Smith College policy requires that all students in a degree program enrolled in at least 25 percent of full-time credits carry health insurance.
Student Injury & Sickness Insurance Plan
The Student Injury & Sickness Insurance Plan is a comprehensive policy offered by HPHC Insurance Company, an affiliate of Harvard Pilgrim Heath Care. The policy provides inpatient and outpatient hospital services, mental health, diagnostic testing and lab services and other specialty benefits.
- Students enrolled at Smith College in a degree program and taking at least 4 credits are eligible for coverage by the Student Medical Insurance Plan.*
- Eligible dependents
*Ada Comstock scholars who are regular employees of the college are not eligible.
Prescription medications are covered wiithin the plan limits with a three-tier structure for co-pays ($10/$25/$45).
Most services provided by Health Services are covered, including:
- Psychopharmacology management
- Access to the nutritionist
Length of Plan
Students are covered under the student health insurance plan through the end of the policy year (including after a student graduates). There is no option to continue coverage after this policy terminates.
Students Off Campus, Traveling or Abroad
The Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan covers you during semester breaks, summer vacation and even if you're traveling or studying abroad. You'll be covered for the period for which you paid premium.
In addition to being covered for medical treatment and services, you will also be covered for Repatriation of Remains, Emergency Medical Expense Benefit and Travel Assistance Services through Scholastic Emergency Services (SES), the 24-hour worldwide assistance service.
All services must be arranged for in advance and provided by On Call International. Any services not arranged by SES will not be considered for payment.
Tips for Traveling
- When studying or traveling abroad, keep your student health insurance plan identification card with you and take a copy of the brochure for reference.
- When outside of the United States, you will likely be asked to pay for your medical care first and then will need to seek reimbursement. Covered Expenses will be reimbursed on a non-network basis.
- When you submit claims for reimbursement, you will need to have the itemized bills translated into English and include a letter informing the claims administrator that you are seeking reimbursement for charges previously paid.
- Please insure that your name, ID number, address (to receive your reimbursement check), and the college's name are on the bill.
Study Abroad Accident and Sickness Insurance Program
Students, faculty and staff of a United States college or university who participate in a study abroad program may purchase the Study Abroad Accident and Sickness Insurance Program. Visit www.gallagherkoster.com for complete plan details and enrollment information.