Programs of Study
Master of Arts in Teaching
Master of Fine Arts in Dance
Master of Fine Arts in Playwriting
Master of Science in Biological Sciences
Master of Science in Exercise & Sport Studies
Master/Ph.D. of Social Work
Center for Women in Mathematics Postbaccalaureate Program
Diploma in American Studies
Academic Policies
Thesis Information
Tuition & Fees
Financial Aid
Campus Resources
Programs of Study

Related Links

Smith College offers men and women graduate work leading to the degrees of master of arts in teaching (elementary, middle or high school), master of fine arts in dance, master of fine arts in theatre, master of science in biological sciences, master of science in exercise and sport studies, and master and doctor of social work. In special one-year programs, international students may qualify for a certificate of graduate studies or a diploma in American studies. Each year approximately 100 men and women pursue such advanced work. Individuals may also enroll as nondegree students by registering for one or more courses.

Smith College is noted for its superb facilities, bucolic setting and distinguished faculty who are recognized for their scholarship and interest in teaching. Moreover, graduate students can expect to participate in small classes and receive personalized attention from instructors.

Most graduate courses, which are designated at the 500-level in the course listings, are planned for graduate students who are degree candidates. The departments offering this work present a limited number of graduate seminars, advanced experimental work or special studies designed for graduate students. Graduate students may take advanced undergraduate courses, subject to the availability and according to the provisions stated in the paragraphs describing the requirements for the graduate degrees. Departmental graduate advisers help graduate students individually to devise appropriate programs of study.

For every degree program, all work to be counted toward the degree (including the thesis) must receive a grade of at least B-minus, but the degree will not be awarded to a student who has no grade above this minimum. Courses for graduate study may not be taken on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis.