Requirements for the Practicum
Students must complete two distinct practical experiences to fulfill the requirements for the Environmental Concentration. To count towards the Environmental Concentration, each internship, volunteer, or work experience must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Consist of 100 hours of work — roughly equivalent to a semester-long campus commitment or a 2.5-week full-time internship. (In some situations, a work experience may be concomitant with academic study that bears credit. The work component should be distinct and, on its own, satisfy the 100-hour minimum.)
- Focus on substantive, content-based work.
- Occur after your arrival at Smith.
- Be approved by your Concentration adviser.
Note: If Praxis funding is used to support the experience, there may be requirements in addition to those outlined here.
In order to receive credit for your practical experience, please complete the following steps.
- Receive pre-approval from your Environmental Concentration adviser using the Practical Experience Approval Form. (If you already completed a practical experience before entering the Environmental Concentration, you may be eligible to receive credit for one experience. Instructions on retroactive practicum experiences can be found on our Required Forms page).
- Complete two reflective statements: one in anticipation of your experience, and one upon its conclusion.
- Have your supervisor complete the Supervisor Evaluation Form. Then meet with your concentration adviser to have them sign off on this form and to discuss your experience. Send your reflections to them ahead of time.
All of the forms mentioned above can be found on our Required Forms page.